XAT 2018 exam is scheduled to take place in the month of January 2018. With so much less time to prepare for the exam, it becomes difficult to short list the important topics. As XAT Exam comprises of two papers, in Paper 2, topics related to General Knowledge and Essay Writing are asked to test the aptitude of the aspirants. This paper comprises of 25 marks and needs to be attempted in 35 minutes. Although there is no negative marking for attempting even the wrong choice, but if you know the right options then your overall percentile will surely increase and chances of getting selected in the prestigious institute becomes higher.
We have prepared a list of top 25 Essay topics for XAT 2018. These topics are significant for XAT Paper 2 and can be asked from the test takers. All the topics are categorized in 5 sections so that you can cover them conveniently. The issues are current happenings that took place in the year 2017.
1. ISRO missile launch: Indian space sector has achieved a milestone when its thirty ninth flight (PSLV-C37), ISRO's Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle successfully launched the 714 kg Cartosat-2 Series Satellite along with 103 co-passenger satellites on February 15, 2017 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota. India created history by placing a record 104 spacecraft in their desired orbits.
2. Union Cabinet approves National Steel Policy 2017: This policy seeks to enhance domestic steel consumption and ensure high quality steel production and create a technologically advanced and globally competitive steel industry. It also aims to achieve 300 million tonnes of steel-making capacity by 2030.
3. Cow Slaughter Ban: Article 48 of the Constitution of India mandates the state to prohibit the slaughter of cows and calves and other milch and draught cattle. On 26 May 2017, the Ministry of Environment of Indian Central Government led by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) imposed a ban on the sale of cows and buffaloes for slaughter at animal markets across India. Read about its impact on the businesses of people dealing in dairy products.
4. Digital India: Digital India is a campaign launched by Narendra Modi Government to ensure that Government services are made available to citizens electronically. Recently BHIM app has been launched, free wifi facility will be available in Diu, eKranti - electronic delivery of services and many more developments have taken up.
5. Clean India Movement: Union Minister of Culture Mahesh Sharma launched the Swachh Bharat App with an aim to involve people actively to become part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (Clean India Movement) in National Museum, Delhi. Once the App is installed and opened, it will ask the user to take photograph of the garbage and write the comment and just submit.
6. Merger of associate banks in SBI: From April 1, 2017 onwards State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur (SBBJ), State Bank of Mysore (SBM), State Bank of Travancore (SBT), State Bank of Hyderabad (SBH) and State Bank of Patiala (SBP) were merged with SBI. The merger will benefit SBI tremendously by giving deposits worth Rs26 trillion and nearly Rs18.76 trillion worth advances on its books along with 23,899 branches and an employee strength of 271,765.
7. GST to be applicable from July 2017: Goods and Services Tax (GST), the biggest reform in India’s indirect tax structure. Also known as Constitution (122nd) Amendment Bill aimed at cascading burden of “tax on tax”. Find out more about the GST Issue here
8. Payments Banks: It is a very important topic from examination point of view. A payment bank is a new model of banks conceptualised by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). It can carry out most banking operations but can't advance loans or issue credit cards. It can accept demand deposits (up to Rs 1 lakh). Recently, Softbank has made its biggest investment in an Indian digital enterprise by sealing a funding round of Rs 9,000 crore ($1.4 billion) in mobile payments provider Paytm (One97 Communications). CEO of Paytm is Vijay Shekhar Sharma.
9. BITCOIN: Bitcoin is a form of digital currency, created and held electronically. It is not controlled by any institution or government. Bitcoin was launched in 2009 by a person or group of people operating under the name Satoshi Nakamoto. Recently, it was in news because one bitcoin was traded for $1,734.65, according to Coinbase, a company that helps users exchange bitcoins. They are yet to be brought under the regulatory framework in India. The Corporate Affairs Ministry is now keeping a close watch on companies as to whether they are getting into bitcoin transactions.
10. One Belt, One Road Summit: The One Belt, One Road (OBOR) Summit or Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) concluded on 15 May 2017 in Beijing, China. 68 countries and international organisations have signed belt and road agreements with China. India’s concern is China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), which passes through Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (PoK).
11. Demonitisation: On 8 November 2016, Government of India enacted the policy of demonetising INR 500 and INR 1000 rupee currency notes. Find out more about the case here. Recently it was announced that the government is planning to introduce a new note of Re. 1/- currency in India.
12. Vodafone and Idea Merger: Kumar Mangalam Birla owned Idea Cellular has approved of a merger with Vodafone India and its wholly owned subsidiary Vodafone India Mobile Services. The deal has created India's largest mobile phone company with about 400 million customers, 35% customer market share and 41% revenue market share. The merger will be completed within 24 months, that is in 2018, subject to approvals from shareholders, creditors, stock exchanges, SEBI, the telecom department and Competition Commission of India. Kumar Mangalam Birla is the chairman of the merged entity. Read about the merger in detail here.
13. Bharti Airtel acquired Telenor: Bharti Airtel has entered into a definitive agreement with Telenor South Asia Investments to acquire Telenor India Communications that will give it an access to seven circles including Gujarat, Maharashtra, UP East and UP West. The acquisition will give Bharti Airtel 52.5 million subscribers.
14. Nokia partner with Airtel & BSNL: Nokia is partnering with Airtel and BSNL to bring 5G internet to India. During the Mobile World Congress 2017 (MWC) Nokia had stated it would attempt to expand its collaborative partnerships to work on 5G technology and connected devices.
15. Flipkart Buys eBay India: Flipkart acquitted its e-commerce rival ‘eBay’s India’ to counter Amazon. The Rs 9,000-crore ($1.4-billion) deal is led by China’s Tencent with an investment of $700 million while eBay Inc will contribute $500 million and also receive Flipkart stock worth $200 million in lieu of its Indian operations. Microsoft will also put in $200 million to round off the deal.
16. Presidential elections France: Pro-European centrist leader Emmanuel Macron has been elected as President of France. 39-year-old former investment banker, who has never held elected office, becomes the youngest President and occupant of the Élysée Palace (official residence of the President of France).
17. Nuclear weapons disarmament: At the end of March, approximately 120 nations concluded the first round of negotiations on a new treaty to ban nuclear weapons. Five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council: China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States were absent from the conference. These are the only five nations legally allowed to possess nuclear weapons under the terms of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT). Their absence from the negotiations indicated their negation towards the nuclear disarmament treaty. This topic is in news recently because in order to advance the cause of nuclear disarmament, India, Pakistan and North Korea must be brought into the framework of the treaty.
18. BREXIT: Brexit is an abbreviation for "British exit," which refers to the June 23, 2016, referendum whereby British citizens voted to exit the European Union. Recently the topic has gained momentum because Prime Minister Theresa May invoked Article 50 of the Treaty on the European Union on 29 March 2017, starting the two-year period of withdrawal negotiations. The UK is therefore set to leave the EU by April 2019. Find out more about the case here.
19. Isolation of Iran: Donald Trump called for an international isolation of Iran during his speech at the Arab Islamic-American Summit in Riyadh. His meeting saw in attendance over 50 Arab and Muslim leaders. The primary agenda of supporting isolation as per his speech directed that Iran was fuelling sectarian conflict and terror by funding, training and arming terrorists and other extremist groups that spread destruction and chaos across the region.
20. Ransomware Attack: Ransomware is a malware that blocks access to a computer or its data and demands money to release it. Most ransomware was spread hidden within Word documents, PDFs and other files normally sent via email. It is also being called WanaCrypt0r 2.0, Wanna Decryptor 2.0, WCry 2, WannaCry 2 and Wanna Decryptor 2. WannaCry is asking for $300 worth of Bitcoin to unlock the contents of the computers.
21. Oscar Awards 2017: The 89th Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), honored the best films of 2016, and took place on February 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. Read about the list of winners and interesting facts about the world’s most prestigious event here.
22. ICC Champions Trophy 2017: It is a One Day International cricket tournament currently being held in England and Wales between 1 and 18 June 2017. In all, 15 matches are played among 8 member nations.
23. IPL 2017: Mumbai Indians lifted the 10th Indian Premier League trophy for the third time, against Rising Pune Supergiant in the title clash at Hyderabad during final. Read about the extravagant event here.
24. Federation Cup 2017: Bengaluru FC defeated Mohun Bagan (2-0) to lift 38th Federation Cup football tournament at the Barabati Stadium in Cuttack, Odisha. Federation Cup was started in the year 1977
25. Asian Wrestling Championship: Sumit won a silver medal in the 125 kg category on the concluding day of Asian Wrestling Championship held in New Delhi. Indian wrestlers overall bagged 10 medals comprising a gold, five silver, and four bronze.
We hope that the above listed Top 25 Essay topics for XAT 2018 that will ease your efforts of searching for important topics. All the topics are relevant for the Paper 2 and can be asked in any form. So be prepared to know everything about the landmark events and score well in the GK section of XAT 2018 Exam.
Best of Luck for XAT 2018
You can also download our free PDF for the month of May 2017 to practise the latest current affiars and Business Quiz questions. All you need to do is click on the link provided below and download our free EBook!
Latest Updates on XAT 2017