American ice hockey Olympic champion Angela Ruggiero on 1 August 2016 was elected as the new chair of the International Olympic Committee (IOC)’s Athletes’ Commission.
IOC President Thomas Bach officially appointed Ruggiero during joint meeting between the IOC athletes’ commission and the IOC executive board.
Ruggiero will be replacing Claudia Bokel.
Who is Angela Ruggiero?
• Angela Ruggiero is a former ice hockey player who has played more games for Team USA than any other man or woman.
• She is the current Vice-Chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission.
• She competed in 10 Women's World Championships winning four Gold medals and six Silver.
• She also authored a memoir about her hockey experiences called Breaking the Ice.
• She announced her retirement from USA's national hockey team on 28 December 2011.
• On 29 June 2015, she was announced as a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2015. She was inducted on 9 November 2015. She is only the fourth woman and second American woman to be inducted.
About IOC Athletes' Commission
• The IOC Athletes' Commission is a body maintained by the International Olympic Committee for the purpose of representing athletes.
• It was established in 1981 by the then-President of the IOC, Juan Antonio Samaranch.
• Its creation was subsequently codified by the IOC in Rule 21 of the Olympic Charter.
• Its function is to act as the link between active athletes and the IOC.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Angela Ruggiero
When: 1 August 2016