Former IAS officer Anil Baijal is all set to be appointed as the 21st Lieutenant Governor of Delhi. The approval for his appointment was given on 28 December 2016 by President Pranab Mukherjee.
Baijal will succeed Najeeb Jung, who resigned from the post of Delhi LG on 22 December 2016. Jung had resigned 18 months short of his tenure.
About Anil Baijal
- Anil Baijal is a 1969 batch IAS officer of Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territory (AGMUT) cadre.
- At present, he is associated with the Vivekananda International Foundation.
- He has obtained a master's degree in Arts from the University of Allahabad. He is an alumnus of University of East Anglia.
- He has also served as the Home Secretary under the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.
- It was during his tenure as Union Home Secretary that Kiran Bedi was removed from her post as the head of jails. She was accused of breaking every clause in the jail manual.
- He is the former Vice-Chairman of Delhi Development Authority (DDA).
- He has also given his services as the Chief Secretary of Andaman & Nicobar Islands, MD of Indian Airlines, Development Commissioner of Goa, CEO of Prasar Bharati, additional Home Secretary in the Information and Broadcasting.
- He retired as Secretary of the Urban Development Ministry in 2006.
- Thereafter, he was associated with the planning and implementation of Rs 60000 crore Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) launched by the Manmohan Singh government.
- He has also served on the executive council of the Vivekananda International Foundation.
- He has also served on multiple corporate boards including IDFC bank.