Michael Phelps on 11 August 2016 won his fourth consecutive 200m individual medley Olympic title. With this, he became the first swimmer ever to win four consecutive golds in the same event.
Phelps clocked one minute, 54.66 seconds to grab the 200m individual medley Olympic title.
Japan’s Kosuke Hagino won the silver medal and China’s Wang Shun took the bronze.
• Phelps earned his 15th individual Olympic gold, breaking his tie with Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina for the record.
• His gold also marks the first time a swimmer earned at least three gold medals in four different Olympic Games.
• He became the first swimmer to win the same individual event four times, surpassing the previous record of three held by Dawn Fraser and Krisztina Egerszegi.
• He also became the third Olympian to win the same event four times, after Al Oerter and Carl Lewis.
• With that 13th individual gold medal, he broke a 2168 year old Olympic Record, set by Leonidas of Rhodes, who had held the most Olympic Individual titles of all time, with twelve.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Michael Phelps
When: 11 August 2016