Civil Services (IAS Prelim 2013): Exam pattern and Syllabus
If you have already decided to appear for the civil services (IAS) Prelim 2013 then it’s time to understand the exam pattern and the prelim exam syllabus. The changed prelim exam pattern which consists of Paper 1 and Paper 2 was applied first in the IAS Prelim exam 2011. The paper popularly referred as CSAT (Civil Services Aptitude Test) replaced the optional subject paper. Both Paper 1 and Paper 2 carry 200 marks each and having time duration of 2 hours each.
The new exam pattern provides equal opportunity to all the candidates irrespective of the fact that they belong to Arts, Science or Commerce stream.
The Syllabus of IAS Prelim 2013 exam is given as following:-
• Current events of national and international importance
• History of India and Indian National Movement
• Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic
• Indian Polity and Governance- Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
• Economic and Social Development- Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives etc.
• General Issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-Diversity and Climate Change that do not require subject specialization
• General Science
• Interpersonal skills including communication skills
• Logical reasoning and Analytical Ability
• Decision making and Problem solving
• General Mental ability
• Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc. (Class X level), Data interpretation( charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc.- Class X level)
• English language comprehension skills( Class X level)