Teachers at schools guiding students towards their right career path
Teachers bear guiding torch for their students. Parents sure are the first hand help for their children and they take care of their child's need but teachers at school who are teaching and making students learn, know exactly how a child is developing his/her skills. These observations made by teachers, can be deciding factors for students future career life in school itself.
Here we discuss few tips for teachers at school so that they can guide their students towards their right career path -
1. Communication is very important. It is the key to a meaningful and clear exchange of ideas between people and this can be applied for teachers and students as well. Teachers must encourage students to talk and share their feelings. Few students might be shy but constant support might let them open up. Otherwise, teachers can talk to them in privacy. Communication and talking will help the students to tell about their wishes and teachers will get a much better idea about the areas of interest of their students.
2. Identifying the strengths and weaknesses of students will help the teachers to work out different plans and strategies. For this teachers can ask most basic and simple questions to students and also conduct one-on-one interviews with the students.
3. Teachers must observe the habits and interests of the students to get a better understanding of the natural likings and talent of the students. Depending on their findings they can be referred to the most suitable courses and also be provided with theory and if possible practical classes.
4. Teachers have to show their students that they care about their welfare. They can do this by initiating a common or individual discussion about career and life. This will let students open up and share with the class and teachers. At no point should it appear that any particular student or set of students is getting an undue favour or discriminated against.
5. Teachers can invite career counsellors or career experts to their school/classes so that the students can ask their queries to them and get most satisfactory answers.
6. Teachers should create a positive environment and mood in the classroom. Depending on the progress of the students they should proceed with setting expectations for the students. A little bit of push is required to achieve the goal. Positive criticism and appreciation should be balanced.
7. Teachers should keep themselves abreast of the latest trends in industry/market and keep students involved as well. Assigning tasks or homework will help the students to be active and also make them more competitive thus preparing them for the future.
Conclusion: Since students interact a lot with their teachers and also look up to them as role models, teachers should do their best to provide best possible support to them in achieving their careers.