IAS Questions for Prelims: 20 September 2017
Importance of current affairs in the IAS prelims is increasing exponentially every year and hence special emphasis should be given for preparing current affairs for the IAS prelims 2018. Practising MCQ questions based on current affairs should be an indispensable activity while preparing for the IAS prelims 2018.
1. Which of the following countries to conduct the first ‘BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise- 2017’?
The First ‘BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise- 2017’ (BIMSTEC DMEx-2017) will be conducted by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) as the lead agency from October 10-13, 2017 in Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR). This Exercise will be a platform for sharing Best Practices on all aspects of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), strengthening regional response and coordination for Disaster Management among the BIMSTEC member countries.
Delegates from all seven nations of the ‘Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation’ (BIMSTEC) grouping, - namely Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand, representatives from Embassies/High Commissions of BIMSTEC nations in Delhi, National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), and Senior Officers from the Nodal Ministries are participating in the event.
2. Recently, the Ministry of Steel has approved the National steel policy 2017. Consider the following statements regarding this:
1. The Cabinet approved the National steel policy 2017 that envisages Rs. 10 lakh crore investment to create more capacity in the steel sector.
2. The policy also aims at increasing supply of domestic coking coal to cut dependence on imports by half and production of 300 million tonnes by 2030.
3. The policy also emphasizes at increasing per capita steel consumption to 160 kg by 2030 and encouraging the industry to be a world leader in energy and raw material-efficient steel production in a safe and sustainable manner by maintaining quality standards for domestic steel products.
Which of the following above statements is true?
a. 1 and 2
b. 2 and 3
c. 1 and 3
d. 1, 2 and 3
The Cabinet approved the National steel policy 2017 that envisages Rs. 10 lakh crore investment to create more capacity in the steel sector. The development is significant as the steel sector is reeling under weak demand and rising raw material prices. The policy also aims at increasing supply of domestic coking coal to cut dependence on imports by half and production of 300 million tonnes by 2030.
The policy also emphasizes at increasing per capita steel consumption to 160 kg by 2030 and encouraging the industry to be a world leader in energy and raw material-efficient steel production in a safe and sustainable manner by maintaining quality standards for domestic steel products.
3. Which of the following countries will set up a Skill Centre at Guwahati to cater the entire North-Eastern region?
The Government of Singapore will set up a Skill Center at Guwahati which will cater to the entire North-Eastern region. This was stated by the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Jitendra Singh after a meeting with a high-level delegation represented by the High Commissioner of Singapore, Mr Lim Thuan Kuan here yesterday. The Indian side led by Dr Jitendra Singh consisted of senior officers from the Ministry of DoNER, Department of Space and Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, which are the three main areas where Singapore has expressed its keenness to collaborate with India.
As far as Skill Centre at Guwahati, it was stated that a MoU has already been formalized between Singapore and the State Government of Assam. As a follow-up to this, a Skill Center is proposed to be set up at Guwahati by the year 2019 and the Ministry of DoNER will coordinate in this initiative.
4. The Union Government has launched a mobile application for retiring central government employees. Consider the following statements regarding this:
1. The app will help the retiring government employees to monitor the progress of their pension settlement cases.
2. The app will also allow the retired employees to assess their superannuation funds and record complaints through the pension calculator.
Which of the above statements is true?
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
A mobile application has been launched today for central government employees who are about to retire to help them monitor the progress of their pension settlement cases.
Retired employees will also be able to assess their superannuation funds and record complaints, if any, through the pension calculator, an official release issued by the Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions Ministry said on Tuesday. The ministry already has a pensioners’ portal for this purpose.
5. Which of the following country has decided to lift the ban on internet calling applications?
b. Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia is lifting a ban on voice and video calling apps such as WhatsApp and Skype, in a move aimed at boosting productivity and economic growth. The ministry of communications said access to Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) would be "widely available to users" from today. It had previously blocked VoIP apps for failing to comply with "regulations".
The announcement comes only days after Snapchat blocked Al Jazeera from its app in the conservative Gulf kingdom. Saudi officials accused the Qatar-based network of being a "harmful, propaganda-pushing channel that supports extremism".