Reasons why industry-based internships are important
The changing dynamics of the job market put forth varied challenges in front of the recent college graduates when it comes to job placements. The gap between the theoretical knowledge they gain in the classrooms and the practical skills required in the actual workplace scenarios is fast growing. Employers are out looking for candidates with relevant experience but how do college graduates get the required exposure. Well, the best way to do so is to do an internship.
Internships are fast becoming an essential part of the academic curriculum in most universities and college. But what's important is that the students get the right kind of exposure and be prepared for their chosen industry. Which makes it imperative that students do internships in organizations of the relevant industry i.e. the one they are looking forward to building a career in. Thus, in this article, we have discussed some reasons as to why it is important for students to do industry-related internships.
Why Should You Do An Industry Related Internship?
1. Industry-based internships act as a bridge between the classroom theories and their practical applications in the workplace. They help deepen the student's understanding of the analytical concepts and tools, while also helping them hone their skills in the real-life situations. A perfect balance of both these things helps them build the confidence of applying their skills as professional post-college.
2. Also, when working in a work environment that is closely related to their academics helps them adjust better to the demands of the real world projects. If they have a clear understanding of the basics then the employers can directly move them on to practical training instead of first briefing or training them about the basic concepts.
3. Working on an actual project is quite different from that of analysing case studies in a classroom. It helps the students develop team spirit, impersonal skills, engage and motivate each other and resolve conflicts. It even helps them develop a lot of leadership skills.
4.The whole process makes students more practical as their actions become result oriented. It's time for them to apply concepts they learned about in the college, in real life. This includes analysing problems and solving them step by step. They learn about goals of an organizations and how they can work to help it achieve the same. While working as a full time employee, they are given set KRAs.
5. Direct Encounters with organization enables students to learn about the organizational realities. Often a single course leads to multiple career choices and students are unable to decide upon which one to go for. Industry internships are the perfect approach in such a scenario to determine which career field best suits you. For example, mass communication courses students have multiple career choice from filmmaking, advertising to journalism and others.
6. It helps students develop integrative thinking. They become better equipped at handling the tensions and short project deadlines at workplaces. It also trains them in the ability to analyze the pros and cons of two different models and choosing one at the expense of others and sometimes combining the two to form a new creative model.
7. Furthermore, students also learn other professional qualities life office etiquettes and work behaviour. They learn how to reply to emails, how to dress up and what to not to say to a senior. These experiences help them immensely when they are trying to make their place in the industry after college gets over.
8. Not to mention, the connections students make during the time of their internship last for a very long time and help them when they are actually looking for jobs in the future. The people they work with prove to be great references in the future, telling the employers about the student's competency. This positive word of mouth proves to be a great help for freshers who don't have any professional experience of working as a full-time employee.
9. These professional stints also make students open to ideas and opinions of others and they realize that everyone has a different viewpoint on a certain issue and that it needs to be respected and evaluated. Unlike a classroom, an office is a place where you have to back everything with facts and figures in order to be taken seriously.
10. Lastly, internships help students to confront real-life work problems where the stakes are high and the work needs to be done in real time. It also helps them to encounter unexpected challenges with increased confidence so that they can successfully get past the hurdles and practical constraints. A lot of times, things taught by teachers are not applicable in real life work settings. This is a great lesson for students who want to be able to tackle difficulties with ease.
Hope, these above mentioned points will help you understand the importance of industry based internships. For more such articles please visit, www.jagranjosh.com/college.