RPSC RAS Prelims Exam Pattern and Detailed Syllabus
The RPSC RAS Prelims exam pattern was revised by the state commission in 2013 and the two prelims paper were discontinued and a single prelims paper was introduced. The Preliminary exam for the RPSC is objective in nature. There are 150 questions and the total marks are 200. There is a provision of negative marking in the exam and for every wrong answer, 0.33 marks will be deducted as penalty. This exam will be only qualifying in nature. The marks will not be considered for the final merit. The level of the difficulty of this paper will be that of the graduation level. The time limit is 3 hours.
Syllabus of RPSC Pre Exam
History, Art, Culture, Literature, Tradition & Heritage of Rajasthan
- Major Landmarks in the History of Rajasthan, Major Dynasties, their Administrative and Revenue System. Socio-cultural Issues.
- Freedom Movement, Political Awakening and Integration.
- Salient features of Architecture – Forts and Monuments.
- Arts, Paintings and Handicrafts.
- Important Works of Rajasthani literature. Local Dialects.
- Fairs, Festivals, Folk Music and Folk Dances.
- Rajsathani Culture, Traditions and Heritage.
- Religious Movements, Saints & Lok devtas of Rajasthan.
- Important Tourist Places.
- Leading Personalities of Rajasthan.
Ancient & Medieval Period:
- Salient features and Major Landmarks of Ancient and Medieval India.
- Art, Culture, Literature and Architecture.
- Major Dynasties, Their Administrative System. Socio-Economic Conditions, Prominent Movements.
- Modern Indian history (from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present)- significant events, personalities and issues.
- The Freedom Struggle & Indian National Movement- its various stages and important contributors and contributions from different parts of the country.
- Social and Religious Reform movements in the 19th and 20th century.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
Geography of World and India
- Broad Physical features.
- Environmental and Ecological Issues.
- Wildlife and Bio-diversity.
- International Waterways.
- Major Industrial Regions.
Geography of India:
- Broad physical features and Major physiographic divisions.
- Agriculture and Agro based Activities.
- Minerals – Iron, Manganese, Coal, Oil & Gas, Atomic minerals.
- Major Industries and Industrial development.
- Transportation– major transport corridors.
- Natural Resources.
- Environmental Problems and Ecological Issues.
Geography of Rajasthan
- Broad physical features and Major physiographic divisions.
- Natural Resource of Rajasthan- Climate, Natural Vegetation, Forests, Wildlife and Bio-diversity.
- Major irrigation projects.
- Mines and Minerals.
- Major Industries and Potential for Industrial Development.
Indian Constitution, Political System & Governance
Constitutional Development & Indian Constitution
Government of India Acts: 1919 and 1935, Constituent Assembly, Nature of Indian Constitution; Preamble, Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles of State, Fundamental Duties, Federal Structure, Constitutional Amendments, Emergency Provisions, Public Interest Litigation (P.I.L.) and Judicial Review.
Indian Political System and Governance
- Nature of Indian State, Democracy in India, Reorganization of States, Coalition Governments, Political Parties, National Integration.
- Union and State Executive; Union and State Legislative, Judiciary.
- President, Parliament, Supreme Court, Election Commission, Comptroller and Auditor General, Planning Commission, National Development Council, Central Vigilance Commission (CVC), Central Information Commission , Lokpal, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
- Local Self Government & Panchayati Raj.
Public Policy & Rights
- National Public Policy as a welfare state.
- Various Legal Rights and Citizen Charter.
Political and Administrative System of Rajasthan
- Governor, Chief Minister, State Assembly, High Court, Rajasthan Public Service Commission, District Administration, State Human Rights Commission, Lokayukt, State Election Commission, State Information Commission.
- Public Policy, Legal Rights and Citizen Charter.
Economic Concepts and Indian Economy
Basic Concepts of Economics
- Basic Knowledge of Budgeting, Banking, Public Finance, National Income, Growth and Development
- Accounting- Concept, Tools and Uses in Administration
- Stock Exchange and Share Market
- Fiscal and Monetary Policies
- Subsidies, Public Distribution System
- Inflation- Concept, Impact and Control Mechanism
Economic Development & Planning
- 5 Year Plans - Objectives, Strategies and Achievements.
- Major Sectors of Economy- Agriculture, Industry, Service and Trade- Current Status, Issues & initiatives.
- Major Economic Problems and Government Initiatives. Economic Reforms and Liberalization.
Human Resource and Economic Development
- Human Development Index
- Poverty and Unemployment:- Concept, Types, Causes, Remedies and Current Flagship Schemes.
Social Justice and Empowerment
- Provisions for Weaker Sections.
Economy of Rajasthan
- Macro overview of Economy.
- Major Agricultural, Industrial and Service Sector Issues.
- Growth, Development and Planning.
- Infrastructure & Resources.
- Major Development Projects.
- Programmes and Schemes- Government Welfare Schemes for SC/ST/Backward Class/Minorities/Disabled Persons, Destitute, Women, Children, Old Age People, Farmers & Labourers.
Science & Technology
- Basics of Everyday Science.
- Electronics, Computers, Information and Communication Technology.
- Space Technology including Satellites.
- Defence Technology.
- Human body, Food and Nutrition, Health care.
- Environmental and Ecological Changes and its Impacts.
- Biodiversity, Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering.
- Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry and Animal Husbandry with special reference to Rajasthan.
- Development of Science and Technology in Rajasthan.
Reasoning & Mental Ability
Logical Reasoning (Deductive, Inductive, Abductive)
- Statement and Assumptions, Statement and Argument, Statements and Conclusion, Courses of Action.
- Analytical Reasoning.
- Number series, Letter series, Odd man out, Coding-Decoding, Problems relating to Relations, Shapes and their sub sections.
- Elementary knowledge of Mathematical and Statistical Analysis.
- Number System, Order of Magnitude, Ratio and Proportion, Percentage, Simple and Compound Interest, Data Analysis (Tables, Bar diagram, Line graph, Pie-chart).
- Major Current Events and Issues of State (Rajasthan), National and International Importance.
- Persons and Places in recent news.
- Games and Sports related Activities.
Candidates should go through the entire syllabus and make notes based on it. Regular study of the notes will give them the confidence for the exam. Candidates should refer to the standard books only. Regular practice will help the candidates in securing the required cut off.