Scheme & Syllabus for SSC Stenographer Grade C & D Examination 2012
Staff Selection Commission (SSC) will conduct Stenographer Grade C & D Examination for recruitment in various Government Offices on 29 July 2012. The minimum qualification needed for the same is 12th pass from a recognised Board.
The examination will consist of a WRITTEN EXAMINATION and SKILL TEST in stenography. The written examination will consist of one objective type paper only comprises of 3 sets; Part I, Part II and Part III and of 2 hours of duration (2 hours 40 minutes for VH category candidates).
The examination will consist of a written examination (objective type) and skill test in stenography.
Scheme of Written Examination The subjects for the respective sets are mentioned below:
- Part I: General Intelligence & Reasoning ( 50 questions )
- Part II: General Awareness ( 50 questions )
- Part III: English Language and Comprehension ( 100 questions )
Total Duration/ Timing for General candidates is 2 hours (10 am to 12 noon); 2 hours 40 minutes (10 am to 12.40 pm) for Visually Handicapped candidates.
Note: There will be negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer. Candidates are, therefore, advised to keep this in mind while answering the questions.
Note: The Paper will consist of Objective Type- Multiple choice questions only. The questions except in Part III will be set both in English & Hindi.
Candidates who obtain qualifying marks in the Written Examination will have to appear for the stenography test which is qualifying in nature. The candidates will be given one dictation for 10 minutes in English/ Hindi which has to be transcribed on computer only.
- Stenographer Grade ‘D'
- a) 50 minutes (English) 100 words per minute (75 minutes for VH in English Shorthand)
b) 65 minutes (Hindi) 100 words per minute (100 minutes for VH in Hindi Shorthand)
- Stenographer Grade ‘C'
a) 40 minutes (English) 80 words per minute (70 minutes for VH in English Shorthand)
b) 55 Minutes (Hindi) 80 words per minute (95 minutes for VH in Hindi Shorthand)
Note: Candidates who opt to take the Stenography Test in Hindi will be required to learn English Stenography and vice versa after their appointment.
Mode of Selection
Candidates will be shortlisted for the skill test on the basis of their performance in the Written Examination. Candidates who qualify in the skill test will be recommended for appointment by the Commission on the basis of their performance in the Written Examination.
Syllabus for Stenographers (Grade ‘C' & ‘D') Examination 2012
- General Intelligence & Reasoning: It would include questions of both verbal and nonverbal type. The test will include questions on analogies, similarities and differences, space visualization, problem solving, analysis, judgement, decision making, visual memory, discriminating observation, relationship concepts, arithmetical reasoning, verbal and figure classification, arithmetical number series, non-verbal series etc. The test will also include questions designed to test the candidate's abilities to deal with abstract ideas and symbols and their relationship, arithmetical computation and other analytical functions.
- General Awareness: Questions will be designed to test the ability of the candidate's general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions will also be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person. The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighbouring countries especially pertaining to Sports, History, Culture, Geography, Economic scene, General Polity including Indian Constitution, and Scientific Research etc. These questions will be such that they do not require a special study of any discipline.
NOTE: For VH candidates of 40% and above visual disability and opting for SCRIBE there will be no component of Maps/Graphs/Diagrams/Statistical Data in the General Intelligence & Reasoning/ General Awareness Paper.
- English Language & Comprehension: In addition to the testing of candidates' understanding of the English Language, its vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure, synonyms, antonyms and its correct usage, etc. his/her writing ability, would also be tested.
For more details, visit SSC Stenographers (Grade ‘C' & ‘D') Examination 2012