Mass Communication as a career prospect has become popular among the youngsters of today. Media opens up a number of opportunities to be visible and heard through different mediums. Besides print, radio and television media, today Web media has also gained much popularity due to its easy accessibility. Media plays a crucial role in a democratic country like India, which makes this career option all the more attractive.
Luckily enough, today the Indian youth has access to some of the best Mass Communication colleges in India. They do not have to go abroad to learn the nuances of the media industry and make themselves capable enough to make a place for themselves. There are many colleges that offer degree, diploma and certificate programs in Mass Communication and Journalism. Here is a list of some of the best Mass Communication schools in East India, based on the pedagogy, infrastructure, faculty and placement opportunities.
- St Xavier's College – Established in 1944, St Xavier’s College is located in Ranchi, Jharkand. It offers under graduate honours program in Mass Communication and Video Production. Moreover, there are certain certificate programs too available in Mass Communication. It is an autonomous non-profit organisation that religiously follows the guidelines set by the UGC. The institute’s special placement cell ensures that the students are ready to ensure a place in their choice of company.
- Ranchi University – The Department of Journalism and Mass Communication of the Ranchi University was started in 1987 with the aim to provide professional education to the desiring aspirants. This department is known for its highly qualified faculty that encourages students to gain experience while they are studying. The department believes in providing hands-on experience of the industry by making use of the latest equipment for imparting education.
- Berhampur University – Berhampur University is one of the most ancient universities in Orissa, in the eastern part of India. The University was started in 1987. Looking at the need of media professionals for the sake of nation-building and the increasing interest of students towards professional and vocational courses, the University started its Department of Mass Communication. It offers both full time courses and distance learning education.
- Calcutta University – The University of Calcutta was established during the British Raj in 1857. Being one of the oldest universities of the nation, it has a reputation of its own that needs no justification. Considering the importance of media and the demand of media professionals in the country, the University initiated the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication. The programs offered here include Master’s degree in Journalism and Mass Communication, Post Graduate Diploma in Media Studies and Post Graduate Diploma in Sports and Mass Communication Management.
- Institute of Mass Communication Film And Television Studies – Located in the capital of West Bengal, Kolkata this institute is affiliated to the University of Kalyani and the UGC. It offers Post Graduate Diploma in Mass Communication and Journalism. Also, it has a special 3-years honours degree program in Media Studies, which involves mass communication, public relations, journalism, audio-visual communication and advertising.
For those looking for a career in the media industry in East India, there are a number of options. However, it is essential to look for the best Mass Communication college to ensure you get the best out of your educational years.