Mass Communication offers a wide range of career prospects to the youth of 21st Century. With the increasing modes of media, the demand for media professionals too is soaring high. Karnataka being the hub of various industries offers its locals a number of colleges that open up doors into the media industry. Here is a list of best Mass Communication schools in Karnataka, based on placement statistics, quality of education, faculty, courses offered, pedagogy used and infrastructure.
- Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media – IIJNM is an independent educational institute, which is not run by any one organisation. Since its inception in 2001, it has maintained a wide association with a number of media houses. The curriculum created by this media school follows the curriculum designed by Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, New York. Due to its infrastructure, education and highly educated faculty, it is considered among the top ten Mass Communication schools in India and South Asia.
- Institute of Multimedia Arts and Graphic Effects – Famously known as IMAGE, this institute specializes in various multimedia courses. It offers 3D Animation Diploma, Diploma in Visual Effects, Certificate in Visual Effects, Certificate in Mobile Gaming, Certificate in Graphics and Animation and Certificate in Graphic Design. It is located in the town of Jayanagar in Bangalore. Students who want to make a serious career in multimedia can also opt for B Sc Multimedia degree from the IMAGE.
- Convergence Institute of Media, Management and Information Technology Studies – Located in the capital of Karnataka, Bangalore, Convergence Institute of Media was started recently in 2004. It offers quality education in Journalism and media studies. The state-of-the-art media lab is to be created exclusively for the students of media courses. Here one can go for full-time Post Graduate courses or opt for certificate courses. The placement process of the institute makes every student go through two internships to prepare them for the challenges of the corporate world.
- Garden City College – The Garden City College is run by the Garden City Education Trust. With its focus on coming up with innovations in education and its pedagogy, the college is considered a good place to attain a degree in Mass Communication. It believes in imparting knowledge through enhancing life skills, which makes the students ready for the life ahead. It offers a specialized MS degree in Communication.
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan – The Bangalore branch of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan was initiated in 1965. The concept of this institute was conceived by Dr KM Munshi and since its inception it has enjoyed a reputable position among some of the best Mass Communication colleges in Karnataka. It is dedicated to the service of education, culture and arts.
- Mangalore University – Founded in 2000, this young University is known for its dedication to impart high quality education through highly qualified and experienced faculty. It offers two courses in Mass Communication: a two year full-time MCJ and PhD program in Communication. The education methodology of this institute believes in providing ample research opportunities in media effects, development communication, audio-visual communication, media & environment and communication & culture.
- National Institute of Creative Communication – NICC is the first media institute in India to get the honourable membership of the European League of Institutes of the Arts. This recognition gives a cutting edge advantage to the students of NICC by opening up international opportunities at elite Design and Imaging schools worldwide. It offers a variety of courses in media including Bachelor’s degree in Visual Communication and Mass Communication.