Be it a student or a working professional, when it comes to ‘staying ahead’ of competition, certain skills definitely make or break your chances of success. Learning an additional language is definitely one of those critical skills that can propel your career chart to great heights, while also providing you with a stable job with a sustainable growth. Want to know the career options for a foreign language expert? Which language to study and the overall scope in India?
Why study Foreign Language?
We live in the age of globalization, where the relations, be it people to people or business and economic, transcend geographic boundaries. Simply put, with MNCs and global giants entering the Indian market and the Indian companies expanding their business operations overseas; the need for people who can act as a linguistic bridge between them has grown manifolds. This is where foreign language experts come in the picture. Foreign language experts are the professionals who can overcome the language barriers and facilitate smooth communication for cultural exchanges and business transactions. The scope of foreign languages as a career is stupendous and candidates willing to explore it have a multitude of job opportunities in various multinational companies and multilateral organisations.
Where and how to get started?
Now, this is a million Dollar question; even for people who realize the tremendous potential that foreign language as a career option offers. While language skills are best learnt and inculcated during the early years, for people who are ready to work hard, there is no such limit. But, given the option, you must surely enrol for a foreign language programme during your school days. But, if you miss that bus, there are several certificate and diploma level courses in foreign languages that are offered by different institutes, which you can opt for.
Popular Foreign Languages in India
Once you have decided that learning a foreign language is what you want to do; the next question that you must answer is which foreignlanguage to learn. This is where you will have to be smart and evaluate the career opportunities which each of the foreign languages have to offer. To get you started, we have listed the most popular foreign languages in India which include:
1. French: When it comes to foreign languages in India, French definitely tops the list. Many schools already offer French language as an optional subject during class 9 and 10 or even earlier. However adding a diploma or a degree in French language to your resume at the college level will definitely get you the attention from recruiters, from both, India as well as overseas.
Top Institutes for French language
• Alliance Francaise – All India network
• English and Foreign Language University, Hyderabad
• University of Delhi, Delhi
2. Spanish: Spanish is the most widely spoken language in the world; therefore it doesn’t come across as a surprise that it would feature on the list. The Spanish language helps you get jobs in or with companies from European countries as well as a number of Latin American countries who have adopted Spanish as their native language.
Top Institutes for Spanish language
• Inlingua– All India Network
• Instituto Hispania – All India Network
• Instituto Cervantes, New Delhi
• University of Pune
3. German: Generally, students who are planning to pursue their higher education in Germany take up German language courses. After the USA, Germany has the most efficient education system and knowledge of German language is a must to study in Germany. In addition to this, German language also opens up several career options for students.
Top Institutes for German language
• Goethe Institute – All India Network
• Gargi College, Delhi
• ShriVenkateshwara College, Delhi
• College of Vocational Studies, Delhi
4. Chinese: China has emerged as one of the fastest growing economy in the world and being neighbour to India, the business and trade relations between the two countries is on the rise. Therefore, the demand for Chinese language experts who can act as a bridge between businesses between two countries has also multiplied in the last few years. Adding to that, Chinese is one of the toughest languages to learn with syntaxes and semantics which are completely different from English; therefore Chinese interpreters are rare. And if you are one of them, your career graph can see steep rise in a short span of time.
Top Institutes for Chinese language
• Indo-China Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Mumbai
• The School of Chinese Language, Kolkata
• ViswaBharti University, West Bengal
• JNU, Delhi
• Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
5. Japanese: Similar to the Chinese language, Japanese is another Asian language which is completely unique in terms of syntaxes and semantics. Moreover, Japan has been an economic giant in Asia with good business relations with India. This makes career as a Japanese language expert or an interpreter a good career choice for students.
Top Institutes for Japanese language
• Nihongo-Bashi, Bangalore
• University of Pune, Pune
• Nihonkai Japanese Language Institute, Delhi
• University of Pune, Pune
Career Prospects for Foreign Language Experts
Learning a new language can open the doors to a bright future ahead. In terms of jobs, a foreign language expert can be employed in different sectors such as tourism, embassies, diplomatic service, entertainment, public relations and mass communication, international organizations, publishing, interpretation and translation, etc. Experts can also explore job opportunities with the United Nations Organization (UNO) and its associated organizations, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) as well as various Indian national organizations such as Ministry of External Affairs and Reserve Bank of India (RBI) who are in constant need of professionals who specialize in foreign languages.
In terms of job roles, there are various roles and capacities in which foreign language experts can be hired. The most popular among them include:
Foreign Language Specialists
Foreign Language Interpreters
Foreign Language Translators
Diplomatic Service Professionals
Public Relation Officer
Air Hostess or Flight Steward
However, with growth in economic relations between India and the world, the roles for foreign language experts are still evolving and hold a bright future ahead.
So, there you have it! Everything you need to know about being a foreign language expert and how it can prove to be a unique and satisfying career option for you. For more informative videos on education and career, stay tuned to visit www.jagranjosh.com.