The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) holds the Civil Services Examination every year in two parts, i.e. Preliminary Test and Main Examination; the Main Examination comprises a written Test and a Personality Test. The Question paper of the IAS Main History Paper I – 2000 is given as below:
Time Allowed: Three Hours
Maximum Marks: 300
Candidates should attempt Question 1 and 5 which are compulsory and any THREE of remaining question, selecting at least ONE question from each Section.
All question carry equal marks.
1. Mark any fifteen of the following places on the map supplied to you and write short descriptive notes on the places marked by you on map:
(xxii) Sasan Gir
2. How did Ashoka contribute to the moral administrative welfare of his people?
3. Who were the Maukharis? Discuss their political relations with the Later Guptas of Magadha.
4. Give an account of the struggle for supremacy in South India between the Chalukyas of Badami and the Pallavas.
5. Write shorts essays in not more than 200 words each on any three of the following topics:
(a) Architecture of the Vijayanagara Empire.
(b) Amir Khusro was an eminent poet not a historian
(c) During the regin of Jahangir Mughal Painting reached its zenith
(d) The Sufi Movement and its role in painting communal harmony
6. Were the Chola village assemblies democratic in nature?
7. Form an estimate of the personality of Firoz Shah Tughlaq with special reference to his religious policy and public works.
8. Describe the Rajput policy of the Mughal emperors. Do you agree with the view that the reversal of Akbar’s Rajput policy by Aurangzeb was responsible for the disintegration of the Mughal Empire?
IAS Question Papers