A compilation of all the important topics and events of the week is given here. Update you Current Affairs Weekly with our India This week.
• The finance ministry relaxed the norms for foreign institutional investments (FII) in the infrastructure space.
• In the wake of high inflation, industrial growth fell to its 21-month low at 3.3 per cent in July 2011.
• The Rajasthan state government launched the ambitious Janani Shishu Suraksha Yojna in all the 33 districts.
• Bollywood's legendary photographer Gautam Rajadhyaksha passed away in Mumbai.
• Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra were conferred with the rank of honourary Lieutenant Colonel in the Territorial Army.
• Union Government of India Unveiled the New Policy to Deal with Naxalism.
• India's wholesale price index ( WPI) rose 9.78% in August 2011 on year-on-year basis.
• Delhi Jal Board (DJB) in association with the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) organised the first consultative workshop on formulating a water policy for Delhi.
• SEBI approved the application for renewal of registration for currency futures trading of MCX Stock Exchange.
• Reserve Bank of India sold US dollars to save the local currency (rupee)from a sharp slide.
• Tamil Nadu government launched new schemes to improve the plight of poor.
• Union Cabinet approved seven per cent increase in the dearness allowance (DA)and relief for the Union government employees and pensioners.
• Union Government decided to allow corporates to raise external commercial borrowings (ECBs) in yuan (Renminbi) equivalent to $1 billion.
• Government approved Rs 6013 crore project for six laning of Kishangarh-Udaipur-Ahmedabad section on National Highway NH-79A, NH-79, NH-76 and NH8 in Rajasthan and Gujarat.
• PSU oil marketing companies announced an increase of Rs. 3.14 in petrol prices.
• Union Government approved the Approach Paper for the 12th Plan (2012-17) which seeks to attain annual economic growth rate to 9 per cent.
• The Union Cabinet of India approved Amendments to the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore Bill, 2010.
• Supreme Court of India asked Governments to Provide Ration and Voter Cards to Sex Workers.
• The Ministry of Tourism launched a scheme providing for the training of drivers.
• RBI announced that India's foreign exchange reserves fell by a steep $4.29 billion to $316.50 billion for the week ended 9 September 2011.
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) hiked the short-term policy rate (repo rate) by 25 basis points from 8 per cent to 8.25 per.
• Scientists found two new species of fish in Arunachal Pradesh.
• MoU was signed between IIFCL, LIC and IDFC in the presence of Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee to provide Takeout Finance for infrastructure projects.
• In Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad state Liberation Day was celebrated across the Telengana region.
• Veteran musician, musicologist and revered guru T.K. Govinda Rao passed away
• 44th Jnanpith Award for 2008 was presented to renowned Urdu poet Professor Akhlaq Mohammad Khan Shahryar.
• 6.8-magnitude earthquake struck the Sikkim-Nepal border.
• Uttarakhand State government reduced VAT on petrol.
Preparing Current Affairs for Competitive Exams now made easy by our Jagran Josh Current Affairs Section. .