The most awaited CDS Exam (I) 2019 is to be conducted on 3 February 2019. A huge number of the aspirants will appear in the exam. Since, it is a prestigious job therefore the number of candidates are more. The CDS Exam 2019 (I) is a difficult one to pass due to stiff competition. The smart students will have the possibility to clear the exam.
The CDS Exam 2019 (I) is organised to take admission in Indian military academy (IMA), Indian naval academy (INA), Air Force Academy (AFA), Officers Training Academy (OTA). Those candidates, who qualify the written exam, are called for the SSB Interview and medical test. After clearing all the stages of the selection process, the students get the commission.
Smart Tips to Crack CDS (I) 2019
The CDS Exam includes three Papers: General knowledge, English and Mathematics. Each Paper is of 100 marks and the time duration is of 02 hours. For admission to IMA, INA, and AFA the written test contains all the three Papers while for admission to OTA course, there will be only two Papers with 200 marks.
Smart Tips 1: Know the Importance of CDS Exam Pattern and Syllabus
This is the first step in the preparation of CDS Exam 2019 (I). An idea of the syllabus of the exam helps students know the Papers that they would have in the exam and marks that these Papers would carry. Also, the knowledge of the syllabus helps the aspirants know the topics which need to be prepared.
The Importance of Knowledge of the Exam Pattern and Syllabus
- The pattern or syllabus may be changed for the said exam and the students have to change the ways of preparation. So, it is necessary to know the syllabus.
- The exam pattern is important because this tells the students what are the steps of the selection process. Is there just a written test or is there a medical & physical test.
- Often there are physical tests included in the selection process for which students have to keep practising from the very beginning as they start their studies. They have to ensure the physical fitness along with their subject preparation.
- In some exams, there are tests of Intelligence and Personality for which the students have to prepare simultaneously because there will not be much time for preparation after the written exam.
Smart Tips 2: Solve Some Previous Year Papers
Once, you get familiar with the exam pattern and the syllabus then you should solve some previous year papers of the CDS exam. This way you will get to know the real exam. After solving the previous papers, you should get the answers checked either on your own or by some subject experts. Now, assess your performance and then get to know what the areas of improvement are and which area is stronger.
It is essential that you should know your strength and weakness. Since, the exam is going to be a difficult one; so proper strategy is required.
- If the candidate is mediocre or under-confident in all three subjects then he should follow the principle: “Jack of All, Master of None”. This means that if the candidate hopes to score above the cut-off marks, then he should not waste his time in preparing just for one subject but should devote time to all these subjects equally.
- If the students have an absolute command over any one Paper and the students are damn sure about the performance in that Paper, then they should study as much as can be sufficient to cross the sectional cut off and make the one Paper so strong that they score more than enough.
Smart Tips 4: Importance of Figuring out the Recent Cut-Off
The students should get an idea of the recent cut-off of the previous years’ exams. The benefits are:
- By analysing the cut-off, the students will have an idea what can be the safest score.
- If the students get the idea of the cut-off, then they can know how good they are at each subject after attempting the mock Papers.
- They will also know where to improve further and which subject needs more attention.
Smart Tips 5: Master the Mathematics Paper
The Paper of Maths is applicable for IMA, INA and AFA. This is not for those who are appearing for OTA. This Paper is scoring in nature. If the candidates have practised well in this Paper then there are more chances that they will get good marks. The Maths Paper has 100 MCQs and all the questions carry equal marks. For every wrong answer, one-third marks are deducted as penalty. The Maths Paper tests the speed and concepts of the subject. The topics that are asked in the exam are: Arithmetic, Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Mensuration, and Statistics.
Maths Preparation: Some Smart Ways
There are some smart ways which can be adopted to score better in Maths. To help students in preparation, here are some smart ways:
- Have Speed: The candidates should practise so well that they get much speed in solving the questions. This can be developed by regular practice with various mock tests and question banks. This can be done by memorising the tables, cubes, and cube roots up to 25.
- Get a Collection: The students should have a list of important formulas and theorems of Geometry like Circle, Rectangle, Square, tangents etc. They should also have tricks to solve the problems of Speed, Distance and Time. Formula for Mensuration is also necessary.
- Use Short- Cut Techniques: The candidates should learn new tricks and methods to ensure timely finish. There must be a systematic approach for solving each question.
- Time Management: This is one of the skills that hold the key to success. If the students have clear concepts then they can get maximum scores in Mathematics.
- Revise Using Previous year’s Paper: The students must revise whatever they have learnt during preparation at specified time interval. They should also solve previous year’s question papers on a regular basis to understand the pattern and the level of difficulty for each topic.
- Use Standard Books Only: The students should use only standard books for the preparation. Mathematics for C.D.S. by R.S. Aggarwal is a must for the CDS aspirants. The book has many solved questions and ample number of questions for practice. Pathfinder for CDS by Arihant Publications is a compilation of all the questions of the previous year exam.
Smart Tips 6: Excel in English
English is another Paper that helps the students in scoring better in the CDS Exam. If the candidates are serious about the selection, then they must prepare this Paper well. The topics that are asked in the English paper include: Spotting Errors, Sentence Arrangement, Fillers, Synonyms & Antonyms, Selecting Words or Phrases, Ordering of Sentence, Comprehension.
English Preparation: Some Smart Ways
English is considered to be an easy Paper if there is a good preparation. Here are the smart ways to prepare this Paper:
- The candidates should develop the habit of reading through English Newspapers, Magazines, books etc.
- The candidates should enhance writing skills, speaking skills, and listening habits. The students should get new words and try to use them in sentences.
- Revise all the concepts of grammar and update the vocabulary sections. The students should devote more time to weak sections in the Paper.
- The candidates should appear in some online test or they should practice some previous year papers to get an exact idea of CDS English Paper.
- Standard book for preparation of English grammar is High School English Grammar & Composition by Wren and Martin. This is a good book for the concepts of grammar. Also, Objective General English by S.P. Bakshi is a book that is referred to by almost all the students of the competitive exams in India.
Smart Tips 7: Strengthen the GK
This section has the principle: If you know, go for it. The questions do not need any concept or any skill like that of in Maths and English. This section is based on facts. If the students know the facts then they will surely have the answers. Here are the smart ways to make the GK Paper stronger:
- The candidate should at first go through the NCERT books for the preparation of the GK Paper. NCERT is the base book for all this.
- Make a routine to revise all the static GK like state capitals, currency, languages, folk dances, the superlatives and dynasties etc.
- General Science is another important topic that is asked in the exam. For this topic, students should refer to the one liner type question based on GK which is very helpful in the preparation of the exam.
- The GK section can be further improved by reading the Year book. Year book is important because it has all the developments of the year which is very important from current affairs point of view.
- The book General Awareness by Manohar Panday covers all the topics that are important from the point of view of CDS Exam (I) 2019. The book is a one stop solution for all the need of GK section. The student should have this book.
- Students should refer to the magazines like Pratiyogita Darpan, Competition Success Review (CSR), and Yojana which can help the aspirants understand the latest development around the country, latest government projects, changes in the economic policies etc.
- The newspapers like The Hindu, The Telegraph and The Indian Express etc. will help the aspirants in current affairs segment.
- The students should appear in the online GK test or should appear in the CDS mock test.
- There are various websites that are offering the news alerts on an updated basis. The students should subscribe to these websites.
Now, the students have the idea of the best ways to adopt in the preparation of the CDS exam. If dedicated efforts are put in, then there are more chances of success in the exam.