Fashion Designing is a good career choice for people who like staying in trend and have a good fashion sense. If you are someone who is passionate about creating designs that are original and extremely stylish, someone who loves watching Project Runway or enjoys reading Vogue then, fashion designing is the perfect career choice for you. The fashion industry today, however, is highly competitive and if you want to make a mark for yourself in it, you need to have proper training and the right skill set for the job. So, let's have a look at some of the top fashion designing courses in India that can help you kick-start your career as fashion designer.
What is Fashion Designing?
Fashion Designing is the art of working out different styles using a wide range of fabrics, colours, and trends to create apparels that reflects the fashion styles of a particular time period. Also, the art of the fashion designing is not just limited to just designing of clothes it also encompasses the areas of accessories. Like, for example, when a celebrity wears a designer wear the designer also attends to what kind of handbag, footwear or other accessories they will carry.
Skills essential to become a Fashion Designer
To become a successful fashion designer being up to date with the latest fashion trends and having the love for designing clothes isn't enough. You also need to possess the right skill sets. Some of the skills essential for becoming a fashion designer are mentioned below -
- Creative and artistic thinking
- Strong drawing skills
- Strong visualisation skills along with a good eye for detail.
- A good understanding of texture, fabrics, colour etc.
- A competitive spirit
- Interest in the latest fashion trends
- Good communication skills and the ability to work with a team.
Which Fashion Designing Courses are available in India?
A career in Fashion Designing requires you to have adequate knowledge of the trade. Like, for example, you will need to have a good understanding of fabrics, material, cloth, weaving, designing, draping qualities and also remain up to date with the latest developments in the industry. A course in fashion designing is the best way to learn the art of the trade. Some of the best fashion designing courses in India are:-
Diploma Level Courses
- Diploma in Fashion Designing
- Diploma in Fashion Communication
- Diploma in Apparel Merchandising
Undergraduate Level Courses
- B.Design Fashion Design
- B. Design (Leather Design)
- B. Design (Textile Design)
- B.Sc. in Fashion Design
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Design
- B.A. (Hons) Jewellery Design
- B.A. (Hons) Communication Design
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Styling & Image Design
Postgraduate Level Courses
- M. Design – Fashion Design
- M. Design – Fashion Communication
- MBA in Fashion Merchandising & Retail Management
- MBA in Textile Management
- MBA in Fashion Design & Business Management
Popular Fashion Designing Institutes in India
Some of the popular Fashion Designing institutes in India are :-
- National Institute Of Fashion Technology (NIFT)
- National Institute of Design (NID)
- International Institute of Fashion Technology (IIFT)
- India Institute of Technology, Bombay
- J.D Institute of fashion Technology, New Delhi
- IEC School of Art and Fashion, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Art and Fashion Technology (IIAFT)
- Symbiosis Institute Of Design, Pune
- Vogue Institute Of Fashion Technology, Bengaluru
- Pearl Academy of Fashion
How to get admission in Fashion Designing Courses in India?
Fashion Designing is a popular course choice among students today. Given the growing popularity of the course, a lot of colleges have started assessing students for their natural fair towards fashion trends and their basic knowledge of different materials, fabrics, colours and weaving techniques etc. The general academic qualification criterion in different level courses in Fashion Designing courses are -
Academic Qualification Required
- Diploma Level Courses: Successfully cleared class 12th exam with any stream from a recognised education board
- Undergraduate Level Courses: Aspiring candidates should have successfully completed their class 12th examination from any recognized education board or its equivalent any other qualification.
- Postgraduate Level Courses -: Aspiring candidates should have successfully completed their Bachelor’s Degree from any recognized University with minimum 45% marks in aggregate or any other equivalent qualification.
Top Fashion Designing Entrance Exams in India
To secure admission at some of the top fashion designing institutes in the country students need to clear different entrance exams. Some of the popular entrance exams conducted for courses in fashion designing are: -
NIFT Entrance Exam
National Institute of Fashion Technology
Pearl Academy Entrance Exam
NID Entrance Exam
National Institute of Design
Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design (UCEED)
Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED)
Army Institute of Fashion Design
SET for Design
Symbiosis Institute of Design
Popular Job Roles for Fashion Designers
Fashion Designing is a lucrative career option as Fashion Designers are no less than celebrities and have a huge fan following of their own. Some of the popular job profiles for Fashion Designers are: -
- Fashion Designer
- Fashion Marketer
- Fashion Concept Marketer
- Quality Controller
- Fashion Consultant/Personal Stylist
- Fashion Show Organisers
- Technical Designers
So, here is all you need to know about the different courses in fashion designing. For information on more such courses please visit www.jagranjosh.com.