Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission conducted the Uttar Pradesh Combined State/Upper Subordinate Preliminary Exam 2015, popularly known as UPPCS Prelims Exam 2015, on 29 March 2015. This paper was conducted in the second session (2.30 AM to 4.30 AM) on 29 March 2015.
The General Studies Paper I was cancelled by the Commission because it was proved that the paper got leaked just before the commencement of the General Studies Paper I. The General Studies Paper I will be conducted on 10 May 2015 again.
The UPPCS Prelims General Studies Paper II (CSAT) as held on 29 March 2015 is as follows.
1. Which of the following words is the antonym of the word 'Auspicious'?
2. Fill the blank in the following sentence by choosing the most appropriate alternative:
The story is too fantastic to be
3. Choose the alternative which can be substituted for the following:
`Time after twilight and before night'
4. Which of the following alternatives gives the correct form of indirect speech of the given sentence?
She said to him, "why donot you go today?"
(a) She said to him that why he donot go today.
(b) She asked him if he was going that day.
(c) She asked him why he didnot go today.
(d) She asked him why he didnot go that day.
5. Which one of the following alternatives gives the correct synonym of the word 'Commemorate'?
6. Choose the nearest meaning of the underlined in the following :
The prices are going up by leaps and bounds.
7. Which of the following words is not a noun?
8. Identify the correct Active Voice of the following sentence:
The clown was being laughed at by them.
(a) They were laughing at the clown.
(b) They were laughing on the clown.
(c) They laughed at the clown.
(d) They have been laughing at the clown.
9. Choose from the following, the direct speech of the sentence:
She told me that she would do it next month.
(a) She said to me, "I shall do it next month."
(b) She said to me, "I shall do it the coming month."
(c) She said to me, "I shall be doing it the following month."
(d) She said to me, "I shall be doing it the next month."
10. Point out the sentence in which the underlined word is an adverb.
(a) To eat and drink temperately is the best way to preserve health.
(b) Temperance is the best way to preserve health.
(c) The best way to preserve health is to be temperate in eating and drinking.
(d) Temperature goes up if one eats and drinks intemperately.
Instruction for Question Nos. 11 - 15.
Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions. Choose the correct answer from the alternatives based only on the passage given.
Megasthenese declared that there were no slaves in India. He was certainly wrong, but Indian slavery was milder than the form he was used to see in the West and slaves were much less numerous than in the civilizations of the West; hence he may not have recognized the dasa as a slave. The Arthashastra, in many ways more liberal than the religious books, lays down regulations appreciably milder than those we have outlined. The sale of children into slavery is explicitly forbidden except in dire emergency. Slaves are entitled to own and inherit property, and to earn money freely in their spare time. Slaves of the upper classes cannot be forced to perform defiling duties. The chastity of slave-girls is protected, the master who rapes a slave-girl must set her free and pay her compensation, and if she has a child by her master, even with her own consent, both mother and child become free. The humane regulations of the Arthashastra, probably unique in the records of any ancient civilization, are perhaps survivals of Mauryan laws, and it is, therefore, not surprising that Megasthenese declared that there was no slavery in India.
11. The laws allowed slaves to
(a) own and inherit property
(b) marry a person of their choice
(c) move freely in markets
(d) read religious books
12. According to the passage
(a) only members of the lowest class were slaves.
(b) only women were slaves.
(c) even the members of the upper class were slaves.
(d) only men were slaves.
13. When Megasthenese visited India he found that
(a) slaves were sold in the open market.
(b) the sale of children into slavery was quite common.
(c) slaves were not allowed to earn money in spare time.
(d) the chastity of slave-girls was protected by law.
14. Why did Megasthenese declare that there was no slavery in India?
(a) He did not see any slaves in India.
(b) Indian slavery was not cruel.
(c) The Arthashastra made strict laws against slavery.
(d) The Varnashrama system did not allow slavery.
15. The slave-girl was set free and paid compensation if:
(a) she was raped by her master.
(b) she was badly beaten by her master.
(c) people objected to her being a slave.
(d) she belonged to the highest caste in society.
16. Find the odd one out.
17. Statement: Should luxury hotels be banned in India?
Arguments: I. Yes, these are places from where international criminals operate.
II. No, affluent foreign tourists will have no place to stay.
Select the correct answer from the codes given below:
(a) Neither argument I nor II is strong.
(b) Both arguments I and II are strong.
(c) Only argument II is strong.
(d) Only argument I is strong.
18. Arrange the following words in a logical and meaningful order:
1. Country, 2. Furniture, 3. Forest, 4. Wood, 5. Tree.
(a) 1, 3, 5, 4, 2
(b) 1, 4, 3, 2, 5
(c) 2, 4, 3, 1, 5
(d) 5, 2, 3, 1, 4
19. When a conclusion is usually expressed implicitly or explicitly, in terms of a probabilistic statement, it refers to a
(a) reasoning dialogue
(b) deductive reasoning
(c) inductive reasoning
(d) none of the above
20. If the given statements (1) and (2) are true, which of the two conclusions I and II will follow from the statements?
Statements: (1) Some ministers are teachers.
(2) All teachers are scholars.
Conclusions: I. Some ministers are scholars.
II. All scholars are teachers.
(a) Only conclusion I follows.
(b) Only conclusion II follows.
(c) Both conclusions I and II follow.
(d) Neither conclusion I nor II follows.
21. Introducing Kamla, Mahesh said, "Her father is the only son of my father". How was Mahesh related to Kamla?
22. Three of the following are alike in some way and one is different. Select the odd one.
23. What is the next term in the following series?
2, 15, 41, 80,?
24. You are Superintendent of Police (SP) of a district. A woman approaches you regarding domestic violence and harassment by her in-laws. Her complaint could not be registered in local police station because of political pressure. As SP you get this fact confirmed from the concerned police station. In such a circumstance what will be your first priority?
(a) Ask the woman to approach the National Commission of Women as getting the complaint registered would be very difficult.
(b) Ask her to bring medical report of physical injuries.
(c) Call in-laws and advise them not to harm the woman.
(d) Ask the station officer of police station to register her complaint after medical examination.
25. Choose the odd pair of words:
(a) Blacksmith : Anvil
(b) Carpenter : Saw
(c) Barber : Scissor
(d) Goldsmith : Ornaments
26. The following question has four statements of three segments each. Choose the alternative where the third segment in the statement can be deduced using both the preceding two but not just from one of them.
A. Sonia is an actress. Some actresses are pretty. Sonia is pretty.
B. All actors are pretty. Manoj is not an actor. Manoj is not pretty.
C. Some men are cops. Some men are brave. Some brave people are cops.
D. All cops are brave. Some men are cops. Some men are brave.
(a) C only
(b) A only
(c) D only
(d) B and C
27. Most students of this class are intelligent.
Select the alternative below that follows from the above statement.
(a) There is no student who is not intelligent.
(b) There are some students who are less intelligent.
(c) All students are intelligent.
(d) Some of the students are intelligent.
28. State the logical order of the argument that follows from any three of the given five statements.
A. Traffic congestion increases carbon monoxide in the environment.
B. Traffic congestion is hazardous to health.
C. Some traffic congestion does not cause increased carbon monoxide.
D. Increase in carbon monoxide is hazardous to health.
E. Some traffic congestion is not hazardous to health.
(a) A B C
(b) B D E
(c) D A B
(d) D B A
29. This island is a colony, however, it is ______ and receives no orders from the mother country.
Find out the missing word from the following:
30. Of two friends, one is studious and the other is a stage artist also. The next day is their examination and tonight the famous drama 'Hamlet' is being staged. What will the two decide about the examination and the drama?
(a) The studious one will ignore the drama and give importance to the examination while the other to drama.
(b) The artist will try to persuade him in favour of the drama.
(c) The studious friend may give in.
(d) Both of them will avoid the drama and prepare for the examination.
31. The length, breadth and height of a room in the shape of a cuboid are increased by 10%, 20% and 50% respectively. Find the percentage increase in the volume of the cuboid.
32. Find the next term in the alphanumeric series:
Z1A, X2D, V6G, T21J, R88M, P445P,?
33. Which letter is exactly midway between G and Q in the given alphabets?
34. If ENGLAND is coded as 1234526 and FRANCE is written as 785291. How will GREECE be written in this coding system?
35. Replace the question mark (?) with appropriate word from the following:
Cruel : Kind :: Lethargy : ?
36. The number coming in place of question mark (?) in the following:
1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 7, 6, ? is
37. If A's monthly income is 40% more than that of B. How much percentage of B's income is less than that of A?
38. What is the factor that interferes with effective problem solving?
(a) Functional fixedness
(b) Trial and error
(d) None of the above
39. The number of triangles in the figure is
40. If CASH is coded as ECUJ, then the code for BANK will be
41. In a class Mohan is at the 15th position from top and 50th from the bottom. How many total students are there in the class?
42. Consider the figure. The number obtained from subtracting the sum of numbers in the triangle only from the number present in all the figures is
(a) - 4
(b) – 3
43. Through how many degrees does hour hand in a clock move as the time changes from 3 hours 12 minutes to 6 hours?
44. In the series of letters
B, F, J, N, R, V, Z, D, H, L, ?
Which of the following letters will replace the question mark?
45. If A = ÷,B = +,C = - and D = x,then which of the following is correct?
(a) 24A6B10 = 5D6C12
(b) 6A4D6 = 4B2D6
(c) 30D4A12 = 30A12D4A5
(d) 108C72 = 78C42
46. Radha is younger than Sunita but elder than Rita. Rita is older than Geeta. Shyam is older to Rita but younger to Radha. Who is the youngest?
47. You go North 1 km, turn right and go 1 km, then turn left and go 1 km, again turn left and go 1 km, then turn again left and go 2 km. You are facing towards:
48. The pie-chart shows the domestic budget of a family where:
A = Food B = Conveyance
C = Clothing D = Miscellaneous expenses
E = Saving F = House rent
If total monthly income of the family is Rs. 30,800, how much amount is spent on house rent?
(a) Rs. 4,600
(b) Rs. 4,620
(c) Rs. 4,640
(d) Rs. 4,650
49. Which one among the following boxes will be made from the given sheet of paper?
50. The missing number in the figure is
51. If the polynomials ax3 - 7x2 + 7x - 2 and x3 - 2ax2 + 8x - 8 leave the same remainder when divided by x — 2, then the value of a is
(d) - 1
52. A and B can complete a piece of work together in 5 days. If A works at twice his speed and B at half of his speedГГГГГ. How many days would it take for A alone to complete the work?
53. The radii of two cylinders are in the ratio 2 : 3 and their heights are in the ratio 5 : 3. The ratio of their volumes is
(a) 10 : 17
(b) 20 : 27
(c) 17 : 27
(d) 20 : 37
56. Arithmetic mean of the cumulative frequency distribution
57. The median of the following values of a variable 30, 5, 21, 42, 13, 10, 27, 33, 17, 8 is
58. The difference between the compound interest and simple interest for 3 years at 5% per annum on 8,000 will be
(a) Rs. 75
(b) Rs. 69
(c) Rs. 55
(d) Rs. 61
59. In what ratio must 25% alcohol be mixed with 50% alcohol to get a mixture of 40% alcohol?
(a) 2 : 1
(b) 3 : 1
(c) 2 : 3
(d) 3 : 2
60. The price of sugar has increased by 60%. In order to restore the original price, by which percent the new price must be reduced?
61. Apples are bought at 5 for Rs.50 and an equal number at 10 for Rs.50. They are mixed and sold at 6 for Rs.50. The gain percent is
(d) None of the above
62. Internal bisectors of the angles of a parallelogram enclose a
63. If one of the zeroes of the cubic polynomial x3 + ax2 + bx + c is -1, then the product of other two zeroes is
(a) b - a - 1
(b) a - b + 1
(c) b - a + 1
(d) a - b - 1
64. ABC is a right triangle in which, AD is perpendicular to BC, AB = 5 cm and BD = 3 cm. Then CD is equal to
(a) 5 cm
(b) 16/3 cm
(c) 25/3 cm
(d) 8 cm
65. Dance is a very refined and artistic form of
(a) Non-verbal communication
(b) Verbal communication
(c) Both verbal and non-verbal communications
66. Which one of the following is false? Interpersonal skills are developed through:
(b) Intermittent punishment
67. Which one of the following is a receiver's weakness type of barrier to communication?
68. Which one of the following gestures is interpreted as unfriendly?
(a) Holding someone's hand
(c) Eye contact
69. Which one of the following can create problems in building interpersonal relationship?
(b) Emotional maturity
70. Consider the following statements:
Assertion (A): People and their problems are unique.
Reason (R): Active listening conveys something to the person who is listened to.
Answer according to the codes given below:
(a) Both (A) and (R) are true, but (R) is not the correct explanation for (A).
(b) Both (A) and (R) are true and (R) correctly explains (A).
(c) (A) is true, but (R) is false.
(d) (A) is false, but (R) is true.
71. Structure of relationship is related to the
72. Which one of the following is the reason for displaying the positive personal signal of leaning forward?
(a) Extreme confidence
(b) Taking time to think
73. Communication that cuts across functions and levels in an organization is known as
(a) Upward Communication
(b) Horizontal Communication
(c) Diagonal Communication
(d) Downward Communication
74. Interpersonal skill requires that
(a) One has good knowledge of English, Hindi and one other Indian language.
(b) One has good knowledge of English and Hindi languages.
(c) One has good knowledge of any language.
(d) One can effectively communicate in any language.
75. Which one of the following is not a relevant factor in interpersonal skill?
(a) Positive attitude.
(b) Doubting the intention of colleagues.
(c) Preparedness to listen.
(d) Ability to manage emotions.
76. Three of the following four pairs of numbers have the same relationships. Select the odd pair out.
(a) 4 : 63
(b) 1 : 0
(c) 5 : 124
(d) 2 : 9
77. Three of the following are alike in some way and one is different from them. Find the odd one out.
78. Statement: Should school education be made free in India?
Arguments: I. Yes, this is the only way to improve the level of literacy.
II. No, it will add to the already heavy burden on the exchequer.
Select the correct answer from the codes given below:
(a) Only argument I is strong.
(b) Only argument II is strong.
(c) Neither argument I nor II is strong.
(d) Both arguments I and II are strong.
79. In the process of communication the first step is
80. Which one of the following is the reason for emitting the negative signal of scowling?
81. निम्नलिखित में कौन 'तत्सम' शब्दों की जोड़ी नहीं है?
(a) कर्म - विधा
(b) दधि - भात
(c) मत्स्य - मृग
(d) ज्ञान - क्षेत्र
82. 'कर्पट' का तद्भव रूप कौन सा है?
83. निम्नलिखित में से सकर्मक क्रिया का वाक्य है:
(a) मंदाकिनी सोती है |
(b) बालिका निबंध लिख रही है |
(c) पक्षी आकाश में उड़ते है |
(d) बालक खिलौना पाकर हँसता है |
84. निम्नलिखित में से कौन सा वाक्य व्याकरण की दृष्टि से अशुद्ध वाक्य है?
(a) वह दण्ड देने के योग्य है |
(b) चार विधार्थी नक़ल करते हुए पकड़े गए |
(c) मैंने यह पुस्तक पढ़ी है |
(d) उन्होंने अभी-अभी खाना खाया है |
85. निम्नलिखित में से कौन सा वाक्य शुद्ध वाक्य है ?
(a) मैं सारी रात भर जागता रहा |
(b) मैं पूरी रात भर जागता रहा |
(c) मैं सारी रात जागता रहा |
(d) मैं पूरी रात में जागता रहा |
86. निम्नलिखित में से कौन सा 'रात्रि' का पर्यायवाची नहीं है |
87. 'मृग्रेन्द्र' का पर्यायवाची शब्द है
88. बहराइच, सुल्तानपुर, रायबरेली किस बोली के क्षेत्र है?
89. निम्नलिखित में से कौन 'निश्चल' का अर्थ नहीं है?
(a) जो अपने स्थान से हिल न सके
90. 'कलेजे पर साँप लोटना' मुहावरे का अर्थ है:
(a) दुःखी होना
(b) ईर्ष्या से जल उठना
(c) दुश्मनी निकालना
(d) दीनता प्रकट करना
91. 'यथारुचि' में समास है:
92. 'स्थावर' का विलोम शब्द है:
93. निम्नलिखित में से शुद्ध शब्द है:
94. निम्नलिखित में से किस शब्द में 'गुण' संधि है?
95. शब्द 'अन्वय' का संधि विछेद है:
(a) अनु + अय
(b) अनू + आय
(c) अनू + अय
(d) अनु + आय
प्रश्न संख्या 96 से 100 के लिए निर्देश : निम्लिखित गद्यांश को ध्यान से पढिये तथा प्रश्न संख्या 96 से 100 के उत्तर इस गद्यांश के आधार पर ही दीजिये|
कुछ महापुरुष तटस्थ होकर चिंतन करते है और अन्वीक्षण, चिंतन, मनन,विश्लेषण,संश्लेषण आदि के आधार पर नई व्यवस्था की कल्पना करते है तथा नए मूल्यों, नए आदर्शो तथा नई आस्थाओ का सृजन करते है| नयी व्यवस्था देने वाले ऐसे तटस्थ चिंतक धन्य होते है, क्यूंकि केवल आलोचना करते रहना तो सरल है किन्तु उपाय बताना कठिन है | मार्क्स ने कुछ उपाय बताए और लेनिन ने उन्हें मूर्त रूप दिया| रूसो, लास्की आदि ने भी उपाय बताए, उन्हें साकार करना अन्य जन पर निर्भर रहा| किन्तु कुछ महापुरुष और भी आगे बढ़ गए | उन्होंने केवल उपाय नहीं बताया बल्कि स्वयं एकनिष्ठा से उस पर आचरण करने के लिए जुट गए | महात्मा गाँधी ने जो समझा वही कहा, और जो कहा वही किया | उनके विचार, कथनी और करनी एक ही थे | उनमे अपनी बात कहने और आचरण करने का साहस था| उनका जीवन अपने सुझाए हुए उपायों एवं आदर्शो के आधार पर विहित प्रयोगों और अनुभवों की सजीव श्रंखला है| महात्मा गाँधी काल के प्रवाह के साथ नहीं बहे| वे युग प्रवर्तक हो गए| गाँधी महान और अलौकिक पुरुष थे|
96. इस गद्यांश मे लेखक ने यूरोप के कुछ महापुरुषों के विषय में क्या कहा है?
a) उन्होंने नए मूल्यों की स्थपाना की |
b) उन्होंने कुछ नए आदर्श स्थापित किए |
c) उन्होंने उपाय तो बताए पर उनका कार्यन्वयन दूसरों पर छोड़ दिया |
d) वे यथार्थवादी थे |
97. इस गद्यांश मे लेखक ने महात्मा गाँधी के विषय में क्या कहा है?
a) वे केवल सिध्दांतवादी थे|
b) उनकी कथनी और करनी में अंतर था|
c) वे केवल आदर्शवादी थे|
d) उपर्युक्त में से कोई नहीं है |
98. ‘तटस्थ चिंतन’ से क्या अभिप्राय है |
a) स्वांत: सुखाय ऊहापोह करना|
b) एकांत में बैठकर सोचना|
c) निष्पक्ष होकर सोच-विचार करना|
d) गंभीर चिंतन करना|
99. उक्त गद्यांश का संबध निम्लिखित में से किससे है|
100. इस गद्यांश में लेखक ने मुख्य रूप से क्या वर्णित किया है?
a) कुछ महापुरुषों का चरित्र-चित्रण किया है|
b) मार्क्स के सिध्दांतों की व्याख्या की है|
c) मात्र महात्मा गाँधी के चरित्र की विशिष्टता का कारण बतया है|
d) महात्मा गाँधी के सत्याग्रह आन्दोलन का महत्व मात्र समझाया है|