GENERAL STUDIES (FIRST PAPER) - 2004
1. Who of the following said, "Mahatma Gandhi, like fleeting phantom raises dust but not the level"?
(a) Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
(b) M.A. Jinnah
(c) V.D. Savarkar
(d) None of the above
2. The province where the Indian National Congress could not get absolute majority during the general election of 1937 was
3. Given below is a list of persons who became Presidents of Indian National Congress. Arrange them in chronological order.
Select your answer using the code given below the list.
(a) Mahatama Gandhi
(b) Jawaharlal Nehru
(c) Vallabhbhai Patel
(d) Smt. Sarojini Naidu
(a) I, 2, 3 and 4
(b) 1, 3, 4 and 2
(c) I, 4, 2 and 3
(d) 4, 3, 1 and 2
4. In which chronological order the following events took place ?
(a) Chauri Chaura Episode
(b) Jallianwala Mass'atre
(c) Rowlatt Satyagraha
(d) Champaran Satyagraha
(a) A B C D
(b) B C D A
(c) D C B A
(d) C B D A
5. It was withdrawal of support by the Congress (I) which was responsible for the resignation of
(a) Charan Singh
(b) Chandra Shekhar
(c) H.D. Deve Gowda
(d) All of the above
6. Which of the following amendments of the Indian Constitution restricts the size of the Union Ministry?
(a) 78th amendment
(b) 91st amendment
(c) 88lh amendment
(d) 90th amendment
7. A proclamation of emergency must be placed before the Parliament for its approval
(a) within one month
(b) within two months
(c) within one year
(d) within six months
8. The 73rd amendment of the Constitution of India is related to
(a) Centre - State relations
(b) Powers of the Supreme Court
(c) Salaries and privileges of Members of Parliament
(d) Panchayati Raj System
9. Sovereignty of Indian Parliament is restricted by
(a) Powers of the President of India
(b) Judician review
(c) Leader of the opposition
(d) Powers of the Prime Minister of India
10. The quorum of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha is
(a) 1/5 of the total membership
(b) 1/6 of the total membership
(c) 1/10 of the total membership
(d) 1/8 of the total membership
11. Which of the following is not a Constitutional organ ?
(a) Election Commission
(b) Finance Commission
(c) Inter-State Council
(d) Planning Commission
12. The recommendations of the Sarkaria Commission relate to
(a) Distribution of Revenue
(b) Powers and functions of the President of India
(c) Membership of Parliament
(d) Centre-State relations
13. Who of the following Chief Justice of India acted as the President of India also?
(a) Justice M. Hidayatullah
(b) Justice Mehar Chand Mahajan
(c) Justice P.N. Bhagwati
(d) Justice B.K. Mukherjee
14. The resolution for the removal of the Vice President of India can be proposed in
(a) Lok Sabha only
(b) Any House of Parliament
(c) Joint Session of Parliament
(d) Rajya Sabha only
15. Which one of the following group of taxes collected by the Central Government are shared with the States?
(a) Income Tax, Corporate Tax, Custom Duty
(b) Income Tax, Corporate Tax, Excise Duty
(c) Excise Duty, Cess on Income, Corporate Tax
(d) Excise Duty, Cess on Income, Custom Duty
16. Faun Income Insurance Scheme has become operational from the year
17. The functions of the Lead Bank are performed by
(a) State Bank of India
(b) Reserve Bank of India
(c) Any Bank
(d) A bank designated for this purpose
18. The latest Committee to submit its report on tax reforms is known as
(a) Kelkar Committee
(b) Chellia Committee
(c) Narsimhan Committee
(d) Vaghul Committee
19. District Primary Education Programme was initiated in the year
20. The most important cash crop of U.P. is
21. Competition Commission has been established in India in the year
22. The Tax-G.D.P. ratio in India is nearly
(a) 7.5 percent
(b) 10.0 percent
(c) 15.0 percent
(d) 20.0 percent
23. TI base year for computation of National Income in India now is
24. Central Co-operative Banks work at
(a) District level
(b) Stale level
(c) National level
(d) Block level
25. The song of Vande Mataram which served as a great inspiration to the patriotic sons of India in their freedom struggle is in book
(a) Anand math
(b) Durgesha - Nandini
(c) Meghanad-Vadh kavya
(d) Virangana Kavya
26. Play-wright, musician and Director B.V. Karanth who died recently belonged to
(d) Andhra Pradesh
27. The poet king who wrote verses in praise of Krishnaunder the name of Nagari Das was
(a) Raja Umed Singh
(b) Raja Ram Singh
(c) Raja Chatrasal
(d) Raja Savant Singh
28. That Iumbini was the birth place of Buddha is attested by an inscription of
(b) Pushyamitra Shunga
29. Who among the following was the Saint of the Varkari Sect?
30. According to Increasing population, arrange the following States and find out correct answer from the code.
(a) Uttar Pradesh
(b) West Bengal
(c) Madhya Pradesh
(a) 1. 2. 3. 4
(b) 1. 4, 2, 3
(c) 2, 3, 1, 4
(d) 3, 2, 4, 1
31. There is a fear of decreasing sex ratio of the world in future due to increasing
(b) Expectation of life
(c) Sex determination tests
(d) Women's status
32. What is the minimum legal age of marriage for girls in India ?
(a) 16 years
(b) 18 years
(c) 21 years
(d) 23 years
33. By 2001 literacy average in India touched
(a) 65.387r of the population
(b) 75.85% of the population
(c) 54.16% of the population
(d) 57.36% of the population
34. Which of the following States has shown highest decadal growth of population during 1991-2001?
35. Assertion (A): The Mediterranean regions have rainy winters.
Reason (R): During winter they lie in the belt of the Westerlies.
Select the correct answer from the codes given below :
(a) Both (A) & (R) are true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A).
(b) Both (A) & (R) are true but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
(c) (A) is true but. (R) is false.
(d) (A) is false but (R) is true.
36. As per the 2001 Census India has 35 million-population cities, of which UP has
37. The correct sequence of metropolitan cities on the basis of population size, in the descending order, as per Census of 2001, is
(a) Delhi, Greater Mumbai. Kolkata. Ahmadabad
(b) Chennai, Kolkata, Greater Mumbai, Delhi
(c) Kolkata, Greater Mumbai. Chennai. Hyderabad
(d) Greater Mumbai. Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore
38. As per the Census of 2001, the least urbanised State of India is
(a) Arunachal Pradesh
(c) Himachal Pradesh
39. Which of the following statements is false?
(a) According to 2001 Census there are 35 million-population cities in India
(b) Mumbai is the largest million-population city of the country.
(c) KAVAL towns are the only million-population cities in Uttar Pradesh.
(d) North-Eastem States have no million-population city.
40. Global-500 Award is given for achievement in the helm of
(a) Environmental protection
(b) Movement against narcotics
(c) Movement against terrorism
(d) Population control
41. Urbanisation and Industrialisation are detrimental to
(a) Sustainable development
(b) Environment and Ecology
(c) Preservation of biodiversity
(d) All of the above
42. The World Environment Day is :
(a) January 5
(b) February 6
(c) June 5
(d) July 6
43. Global Warming is caused due to the emission of
(b) Carbon Dioxide
(c) Carbon Mono-oxide
(d) Hydro Carbon
44. Which one of the following energy is most utilized in biomass ?
(a) Atomic energy
(b) Solar energy
(c) Geothermal energy
(d) Tidal energy
45. Chaurabari glacier is located towards
(a) South of Kedarnath temple
(b) West of Kedamath temple
(c) North of Kedarnath temple
(d) East of Kedarnath temple
46. Which one of the following is not correctly matched?
(a) Bailadila - Madhya Pradesh
(b) Kemangundi - Karnataka
(c) Singhbhum - Jharkhand
(d) Mayurbhanj - Orissa
47. Arrange the following States in descending order of their length of National Highways. Use the code given below to select the correct answer.
(a) Arunachal Pradesh
(a) B A C D
(b) A B C D
(c) D C B A
(d) C D A B
48. The twelfth major port of India handling coal is being developed near
49. The leading producer of petroleum in India is
(d) Tamil nadu
50. Which one of the following is the largest producer of coal in India?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
(b) Madhya Pradesh
(d) West Bengal
51. Which one of the following States does not produce Mica ?
(b) Madhya Pradesh
(d) Andhra Pradesh
52. Which one of the following rivers does not pass through Uttar Pradesh?
53. Sarnath is in the State of
(d) Uttar Pradesh
54. Which one of the following is not correctly matched ?
(a) Ramagundam - Fertilizer
(b) Chittaranjan - Locomotive
(c) Korba - Aluminium
(d) Pimpri - Pesticides
55. In which country Krishna Janamashtmi was celebrated recently in the dining hall of its Parliament by setting up a temple ?
56. Which one of the following is correctly matched?
(a) Wet winter dry summer - Italy
(b) Wet throughout the year - Sudan
(c) Wet summer dry winter - Iran
(d) Dry throughout the year - Chile
57. Mount Titlis is in
58. Which one of the following is correctly matched?
(a) Hamburg - Elbe river
(b) Belgrade - Seine river
(c) Kiev - Don river
(d) Lahore - Sutlej river
59. Which State of U.S.A. is also known as the 'Blue Grass State"?
60. Which one of the following is not correctly matched?
(a) Donbas Basin - Coal
(b) Mesabi Range - Copper
(c) Mosul - Petroleum
(d) Transvall - Gold
61. Who is the Captain of the Indian Hockey team?
(a) Dhanraj Pillai
(b) Dilip Tirky
(c) Jugraj Singh
(d) Balbir Singh
62. Who has scored highest number of runs in test cricket?
(a) Allen Border
(b) Sachin Tendulkar
(c) Brian Lara
(d) Sunil Gavaskar
63. Who has scored the highest number of double centuries in test cricket?
(a) Sachin Tendulkar
(b) Sir Don Bradman
(c) Brian Lara
(d) Sanath Jaysuriya
64. Who was declared best actor of the twentieth Century ?
(a) Dilip Kumar
(c) Amitabh Bacchan
(d) Sunil Dutt
65. Who of the following won a medal for India in the last Olympic games?
(a) Leander Paes
(b) Mahesh Bhupathi
(c) Rajya Vardhan Singh Rathore
(d) Anju Bobby George
66. Indian international film festival was held in 2005 in
(c) New Delhi
67. The Chairman of the Enquiry Commission constituted recently to study different aspects related to missing of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose is
(a) M.K. Bannerji
(b) M.K. Chatlerji
(c) M.K. Mukherji
(d) A.K. Bhattacharya
68. The first indigenously assembled T 90 S Battle Tankhas been named
69. The 29'" Olympic Games will be held in 2008 in
70. The 12'h SAARC Summit was held in January 2004 at
(c) Sri Lanka
71. Former President of U.S.A. Bill Clinton visited which of the following States of India in 2005?
(c) Utiar Pradesh
(d) Himachal Pradesh
72. Which of the following countries has recently rejoined the Commonwealth Nations?
73. In July 1004 about 100 children died in Tamil Nadu in a disastrous fire in a primary school in
74. Indian won a One Day International Cricket Match Series in 2005 against
(a) South Africa
(c) Sri Lanka
75. Noted writer Arundhati Roy has bagged which of the following awards in 2004?
(a) Booker Prize
(b) Pulitzer Prize
(e) Sydney Peace Prize
(d) Lotus Literacy Award
76. A man started walking from North to South. He turned left and then again right. In which direction was he ultimately moving?
77. On January 1 of a leap year there was Wednesday. What was the day on January I of the previous year?
78. If an electric train is moving from North to South, in which direction will smoke from the engine go?
(a) South east
(b) North cast
(c) No smoke
79. In the following sequence the blank space will have
80. The total number of prime numbers between 10 to 50 is
(c) 1 I
81. What is 30% of 3 hours and 30 minutes?
(a) 1 hour 10 minutes
(b) 1 hour 3 minutes
(c) I hour 5 minutes
(d) 1 hour 15 minutes
82. What is the missing number x in the following series ''
(a) 38 (b) 40
(c) 42 (d) 45
83. If the word FATHER is coded as GARDEN, then the word WRITER will be coded as
(a) ORPHEN (b) GODOWN
(c) XORPEN (d) XRGPIN
84. A mother is 25 years older than her daughter. Five years back she was six times her daughter's age at that time. How old is the mother now?
(a) 25 years (b) 29 years
(c) 32 years (d) 35 years
85. A man's wages were reduced by 50%. Again the reduced wages were increased by 50%. What is the change is his wages ?
(a) 75% gain (b) 25% loss
(c) 30% loss (d) No change
86. Ram buys a watch for Rs. 200. If he wants to earn a profit of 50% by allowing a discount of 50%, he should fix its sale price as
(a) Rs. 300 (b) Rs. 450
(c) Rs. 600 (d) Rs. 750
87. A number, if increased by 10% becomes 242. The original number is
(a) 230 (b) 220
(c) 232 (d) 252
88. What is the missing number in the following series?
2, 6, ______20, 30
(a) 10 (b) 12
(c) 15 (d) 22
89 If coal is related with 'mine', then which of the following is related with 'water'?
(a) River (b) Pond
(c) Well (d) Rain
(a) 100 (b) 10
(c) 1 (d) 1000
91. The impact of Green Revolution was felt most in the production of
(a) Wheat (b) Rice
(c) Pulses (d) Oil Seeds
92. The largest producer of Saffron in India is
(a) Tamil Nadu (b) West Bengal
(c) Kashmir (d) Kerala.
93. Which of the following is related to 'Yellow Revolution"?
(a) Fishery (b) Food grains production
(c) Milk production (d) Oilseeds production
94. Which of the following is a disease of wheat crop ?
(a) Rust (b) Blast
(c) Tikka (d) None of the above
95. Under which Five Year Plan did agriculture register a negative growth?
(a) Third (b) Fifth
(c) Seventh (d) Ninth
96. The chief mosquito repellent is obtained from
(a) Basil (Tota) (b) Lemon (Nibu)
(c)Marg of (Neem) (d) Turmeric (Haldi)
97. Which of the following is not a speculator in the Stock Exchange?
(a) Bull (b) Bear
(c) Broker (d) Stag
98. The largest public sector Commercial Bank of India is the :
(a) Bank of India (b) Reserve Bank of India
(c) State Bank of India (d) Union Bank of India
99. The development of tourism and hotel Industry In India is the function of
(a) I.A.A.I. (b) I.T.D.C.
(c) I.T.C. (d) H.I.C.
100. For a developing country like India small scale and cottage industries should be encouraged primarily because they
(a) Equalise wealth distribution
(b) Generate large employment opportunities
(c) Produce at lower cost
(d) Require lower capital investment
101. Which of the following items is most significant item of Indian imports in terms of value at present ?
(a) Machinery and Transport equipments
(b) Pearls and precious stones
(c) Electronics and computers
(d) Patrol and petroleum products
102. The term 'Paper Gold1 means
(a) Special drawing rights of the I.M.F.
(b) Special accommodation facility of the 'World Bank'
(c) Currencies still on Gold standard
(d) Deficit financing
103. 'The Rolling Plan' for backward countries was suggested by
(a) G. Myrdal (b) W.A. Lewis
(c) R. Nurkse (d) A. Samuelson
104. India earns the maximum foreign exchange through export of
(a) Leather goods (b) Handicrafts
(c) Electronic goods (d) Engineering goods
105. The largest share of Revenue - receipts of Uttar Pradesh Government comes from :
(a) Land Revenue
(b) General Trade Tax
(c) Share of Union excise duty
(d) Registration fee
106. 'Udyog Bandelier’ is a/an
(a) Labour supplying agency
(b) Sick industry r habilitation agency
(c) Committee ID assist industrial units in solving time-bound establishment and related problems
(d) agency for financing industrial development
107. According to the Census of 2001, the women literacy in U.P. is
(a) 33.57% (b) 39.38%
(c) 42.98% (d) 44.38%
108. Every year a fair is held on the tomb of famous Sufi Saint Haji Waris Ali Shah at
(a) Fatehpur Sikri. Agra
(b) Kaliar Saharanpur
(c) Dewa Shareef Barabanki
(d) Garh-mukteshwar, Gaziabad
109. North-Central Zone Cultural Centre is situated in
(a) Delhi (b) Allahabad
(c) Lucknow (d) Varanasi
110. Which of the following constitutes the third largest religious community in Uttar Pradesh?
(a) Buddhists (b) Christians
(c) Jains (d) Sikhs
111. The principal commercial crop of LLP. is
(a) Cotton (b) Jute
(c) Sugarcane (d) Oil seeds
112. Kisan Mitra Yojna was started in U.P. on
(a) June 18, 2004 (b) June 18, 2003
(c) June 18. 2002 (d) June 18, 2001
113. The principal folk song of U.P. is
(a) Dhamar (b) Birha
(c) Tappa (d) Qauwwali
114. Who of the following players from U.P. has won both the Arjun Award and the Laxman Award ?
(a) Mohammad Kaif (b) R.P. Singh
(c) Suresh Raina (d) Ranbir Singh
115. The planet nearest to the Sun is
(a) Mercury (b) Earth
(c) Venus (d) Pluto
116. Consider the following statements about ultrasonic waves :
(1) They can destroy insects
(2) They can clean clothes by removing dust
(3) They can be used to treat diseases
(4) They can control automatic doors Of the above statements
(a) (l) and (2) are correct
(b) (3) and (4) are correct
(c) (1), (2) & (3) are correct
(d) All are correct
117. Hydrogen, helium and methane are the main gases present on
(a) Uranus, Neptune and Pluto
(b) Jupiter, Saturn and Mars
(c) Uranus, Neptune and Venus
(d) Mars and Venus
118. Weather monitoring device SODAR is established at
(a) Jaipur (b) Cuttack
(c) Chandigarh (d) Kaiga and Kalpakkam
119. After seven years of its journey, the spacecraft Cassini started encircling which of the following planets in June 2004 ?
(a) Mercury (b) Jupiter
(c) Mars (d) Saturn
120. I.C. chip used in computers is made of
(a) Silicon (b) Tungsten
(c) Copper (d) Platinum
121. The main constituents of gun powder are
(a) Potash, Sulphur and Carbon
(b) Potash, Sulphur and Sodium
(c) Sulphur, Carbon and Magnesium
(d) Carbon. Potash and iron filings
122. Unlike the fluid core of the earth the core of the moon is
(a) Plasma (b) Volatile gas
(c) Viscous liquid (d) Solid
123. The ring of Jupiter is composed of
(a) silicates (b) non-existent
(c) very thick and opaque (d) all the above
124. Iodine is obtained from
(a) Laminaria (b) Poly siphonia
(c) Chara (d) Spirogyra
125. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below the lists :
List-I (Plant) List-II (Use)
A. Brahmi 1. Ami diabetic
B. Sadabahar 2. Carminative
C. Pudina 3. Expectorant
D. Tulsi 4. Brain tonic
A B C D
(a) 1 4 3 2
(b) 4 1 2 3
(c) 2 3 4 I
(d) 4 2 3 1
126. Tuberculosis is cause by a
(a) bacterium (b) virus
(c) fungus (d) protozoan
127. The largest invertebrate is
(a) Octopus (b) Squid
(c) Coral (d) Jelly fish
128. Astigmatism is a disease of the
(a) Ears (b) Eyes
(c) Nose (d) Throat
129. Extra glucose in body gets converted into glycogen and is stored in
(a) Stomach (b) Liver
(c) Pancreas (d) Bile
130. At which place did Gautam Buddha give his first sermon ?
(a) Vaishali (b) Bodhgaya
(c) Rajgriha (d) Sarnath
131. Who was the founder of Ram Krishna Mission?
(a) Swami Vivekananda
(b) Raja Rammohan Roy
(c) Swami Dayanand Saraswati
(d) Ramkrishna Paramhansa
132. The first meeting of Rama and Hanuman takes place in which 'Kand' of Ramayan?
(a) Kishkindha Kand (b) Sunder Kand
(c) Bal Kand (d) None of the above
133. The great law giver of ancient times was
(a) Ashoka (b) Arya Bhatt
(c) Manu (d) Vatsyayana
134. Which of the following civilisations flourished on the bank of River Nile?
(a) Roman Civilisation (b) Indus Valley Civilisation
(c) Greek Civilisation (d) Egyptian Civilisation
135. Who among the following built the tomb of her Emperor husband ?
(a) Shah Begum (b) Haji Begum
(c) Mumtaz Mahal Begum (d) Nurunnisa Begum
136. A group of eunuches and ladies dominated in the Government under
(a) Muhammad Shah (1719-48)
(b) Ahmed Shah (1748-54)
(c) Alamgir (1754-59)
(d) Shah Alam II (1759-1806)
137. Which one of the following rulers from Central Asia conquered North India in 1192 ?
(a) Jalaluddin Mankbarni
(b) Mahmud of Ghazni
(c) Shihabuddin Muhammad Gauri
(d) Chingiz Khan
138. Who of the following was the first woman ruler of medieval India?
(a) Razia Sultan (b) Chand Bibi
(c) Ourgavati (d) Noorjahan
139. The ruler of Mewar who was defeated in the battle of Khanua by Akbar in 1527 was
(a) Rana Pratap (b) Man Singh
(c) Sawai Uday Singh (d) Rana Sanga
140. Who among the following has been called the 'Father of Indian Unrest'?
(a) B.G. Tilak (b) G.K. Gokhale
(c) Subhas Chandra Bose (d) Mahatma Gandhi
141. 'Indian War of Independence 1857' is written by
(a) S.N. Sen (b) R.C. Majumdar
(c) V.D. Savarkar (d) S.B. Chaudhuri
142. Who wrote the famous song 'Saare Jahan Se AchchaHindustan Hamara'?
(a) Sahir Ludhianvi (b) Sir Sayyad Ahmed Khan
(c) Sir Muhammad Iqbal (d) Bahadur Shah Zafar
143. Aishwarya Rai played the role of a widow in the Bengali film 'Chokher Bali'. What was the widow's name?
(a) Ragini (b) Mitali
(c) Shushmita (d) Binodhini
144. The Bollywood actor who was recently (2004) awarded OBE (Order of the British Empire) by British Crown is
(a) Jackie Shroff (b) Om Puri
(c) Devanand (d) Anil Kapoor
145. The historic "Dandi March" is associated with
(a) Boycott of elections
(b) Violation of 'Salt Law'
(c) Hindu-Muslim Unity
(d) Abolition of untouchability
146. Which one of the following is correctly matched?
(a) 1940 _ Lahore Session of Indian National Congress
(b) 1931 _ Execution of Rajguru
(c) 1921 _ Commencement of Non-Cooperation Movement
(d) 1920 _ Rowlatt Satyagraha
147. Who of the following had called Mohammad Ali Jinnahas 'Ambassador of Hindu Muslim Unity'?
(a) Annie Besant ( b) Sarojini Naidu
(c) Balgangadhar Tilak (d) None of the above
148. Who said, "Freedom is almost within reach, we have to seize it"?
(a) Mahatma Gandhi (b) Subhash Chandra Bose
(c) Jawahar Lai Nehru (d) Shaukat Ali
149. The President of the Indian National congress in 1885was
(a) George Yule (b) Dadabhai Naoiozi
(c) W.C. Bannerji (d) W. Wedderburn
150. Shyamji Krishna Verma established Indian Home Rule Society in
(a) London (b) Paris
(c) Berlin (d) San Francisc