A combined competitive examination for recruitment to Grade IV of the Services (Indian Economic Service and Indian Statistical Service) will be held by the Union Public Service Commission in accordance with the Rules published by the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation in the Gazette of India.
Name of the Post & Number of Vacancies
- Indian Economic Service: 19 vacancies
- Indian Statistical Service: 46 vacancies
The examination shall be conducted according to the following Plan:
- Written examination carrying a maximum of 1000 marks in the following subjects.
- Viva voce of such candidates as may be called by the Commission, carrying a maximum of 200 marks.
Indian Statistical Service (IES) Written Exam:
- General English (100 marks, 3 hours)
- General Studies (100 marks, 3 hours)
- General Economics- I (200 marks, 3 hours)
- General Economics- II (200 marks, 3 hours)
- General Economics- III (200 marks, 3 hours)
- Indian Economics (200 marks, 3 hours)
- Stochastic Processes: Specifications of a Stochastic Process, Markov chains, classification of states, limiting probabilities; stationary distribution; Random walk and Gambler's ruin problem. Poisson process, Birth and death process; applications to Queues-M/M/I and M/M/C models. Branching Process.
- Operations Research: Elements of linear programming. Simplex procedure. Principle of duality. Transport and assignment problems. Single and multi-period inventory control models. ABC analysis. General simulation problems. Replacement models for items that fail and or items that deteriorate.
- Demography and Vital Statistics: The life table, its constitution and properties. Makehams and Gompertz curves. National life tables. UN model life tables. Abridged life tables. Stable and stationary populations. Different birth rates. Total fertility rate. Gross and net reproduction rates. Different mortality rates. Standardised death rate. Internal and international migration: net migration. International and postcensal estimates. Projection method including logistic curve fitting. Decennial population census in India.
- Computer Application and Data Processing
a) Computer Application Computer system concepts: Computer system components and functions. The Central Processing unit, Main memory, Bit, Byte, Word, Input/Output Devices, Speeds and memory Capacities in computer systems. Software concepts: Overview of Operating Systems, Types and Functions of Operating System, application Software, Software for multi-tasking, multi-programming, Batch Processign Mode, Time sharing mode, Concept of System Support Programme, Overview of Existing Software packages on Word Processing and Spreadsheets. Overview of an application Specific Programme: Flow charts, Basics of Algorithm, Fundamental of design and analysis of Algorithm; Basics of data structure, Queue, Stack.
b) Data Processing
i) Data processing: Digital Number System, Number conversions, Binary representation of integers, Binary representation of real numbers, Logical Data element like character, fields, records, files, Fundamentals of data transmission and processing including error control and error processing.
ii) Data base management: Data Resource management. Data base and file organisation and procesing. (a) Direct, (b) Sequantial, (c) Indexed Sequential file. Concepts of Client Server architecture, Data Base Administrator. An overview of DBMS software.