UPSC Instructions to Candidates for IAS Preliminary Test
Any article other than the allowed ones by the UPSC will not be allowed in any case inside the premises where the examination is being conducted. Here are the separate lists of articles that are allowed, and the articles that are not allowed in the UPSC Exam premises.
In the IAS Prelims Exam, you are allowed to carry a certain number of articles to the Exam Hall. Candidates are not allowed to carry stuff to the Exam Hall according to his/her comfort. Any article other than the allowed ones will not be allowed in any case inside the premises where the examination is being conducted. Any infringement of these instructions would entail disciplinary action including ban by the UPSC from future examination. Candidates are advised in their own interest not to bring any of the banned items including mobile phones/pagers to the venue of the examination, as arrangements for safekeeping cannot be assured. Thus, it is suggested that you follow the instructions of the UPSC strictly, failure of which can lead you unexpected problems in taking the Prelims Exam.
List of Articles that are permitted in the UPSC Exam Hall
• Clip board or hard board (on which nothing is written)
• A good quality H.B. pencil for making responses on the Answer Sheet
• An eraser
• Pencil sharpener
• A pen containing blue or black ink
• Answer Sheet and sheet for rough work will be supplied by the Invigilator
List of Articles that are not permitted in the UPSC Exam Hall
• Do not carry into the Examination Hall any article such as books, notes, loose sheets etc.
• Electronic or any other type of calculators
• Mathematical and drawing instruments
• Log Tables, stencils of maps, slide rules
• Test Booklets and rough sheets pertaining to earlier session(s) etc.
• Mobile phones, pagers or any other communication devices