The Public Service Commission, West Bengal, shall hold a preliminary examination in Kolkata and Darjeeling for recruitment to the posts in West Bengal Judicial Service.
Note: No candidate other than the candidates belonging to SC/ST/BC of West Bengal shall be allowed to appear in the examination for more than three times. The candidates belonging to SC/ST/BC of West Bengal shall not be allowed to appear in the examination for more than five times.
- Last date for receipt of application: 12 March 2012 up to 5 pm
- Date for Preliminary Examination: May 2012
- Bachelor of Law from any University or Institution affiliated to any University recognized by the State Government or the Central Government;
- Enrolment as an advocate in the roll of Bar Council of any State or Union Territory in India
- Ability to read, write, and speak in Bengali (not required in the case of Nepali speaking candidates of the three Hill Subdivisions of Darjeeling District, viz., Darjeeling Sadar, Kalimpong and Kurseong.
Age Limit (as on 11 February 2012): Minimum 23 years; Maximum 35 years
Pay Scale: Rs 27700-770-35090-920-40450-1080-44770
Application Fee: Rs 210 to be paid by General and all category candidates of other States, and no fee will be charged from SC/ ST category candidates of West Bengal and PWD candidates.
The fees needs to be paid in the form of Indian Postal Order which must be purchased on a date after publication of this advertisement and crossed and endorsed to the Secretary, Public Service Commission, West Bengal or in the form of a receipted Challan from a Government Treasury in West Bengal or the Reserve Bank of India, Kolkata under the head "0051-00-105-State PSC-Examination fees-001-Examination fees-16-other fees".
Selection Procedure: The competitive examination comprise three successive stages viz:-
- Preliminary Examination (Objective Type & Multiple choice)
- Final Examination (Conventional Type, i.e. Written examination)
- Personality Test
Preliminary Examination: The Preliminary Examination will consist of one paper of Objective Type containing 200 Multiple Choice Questions. The paper will carry 200 marks and will be of 2 ½ hours' duration.
Subjects for the Main (Written) Examination: The Final examination will consist of eight compulsory papers and three papers on optional subjects to be chosen by the candidates from the list of Optional Subjects. Each compulsory and Optional paper will carry 100 marks and will be of three hours duration.
- English Composition, essay, précis writing
- Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali composition, essay and translation from English into Bengali/Hindi/Urdu /Nepali
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- Civil procedure Code
- Criminal Procedure Code and Indian Penal Code
- Indian Evidence Act
- Law of Contracts and Torts
- Transfer of Property Act
Optional Papers (any three to be chosen)
- Hindu Law
- Muhammadan Law
- Jurisprudence and principles of legislation
- Indian Law relating to Companies and Insurance
- Principles of Equity including the Law of Trusts and Specific Relief
- Partnership Act
- Law of Limitation and Law of Prescription
- The Indian Constitution and Constitutional Law
Personality Test (Viva-Voce) Total Marks 100: The suitability of candidates for employment in the West Bengal, Judicial Service will be tested with reference to his merit giving due regard to his ability, character, personality, and physique.
How to Apply: Interested eligible candidates are required to visit at http://www.pscwb.org.in/ to get the application format and submit it at Commission's office at 161-A, SP Mukherjee Road, Kolkata - 700 026 between 11 am and 3.30 pm on all working days or sent by post (strictly by registered or speed post or UCP) addressed to the Deputy Secretary (Examination), Public Service Commission, West Bengal at the above address super scribing on the envelope the advertisement no. and name of the examination.
For more details; please CLICK HERE