Andhra Pradesh signs MoU for Hyperloop between Vijaywada and Amravati
The Andhra Pradesh Government on 6 September 2017 joined hands with a US-based company to introduce the futuristic Hyperloop transportation system in the state capital region, Amravati.
If everything goes as planned, this will be the first Hyperloop project to be implemented in India.
• The Andhra Pradesh Economic Development Board (AP-EDB) and US-based Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT) signed the memorandum of understanding (MoU) in Amaravati. However, the companies did not disclose the probable cost of the project.
• HTT chairman and co-founder Bibop Gresta and EDB CEO J Krishna Kishore signed the MoU.
• The project will be taken up in the public-private-partnership mode with the funding coming primarily from private investors.
• Hyperloop is proposed to be introduced between the city centres of Vijayawada and Amaravati. It will supposedly cover the distance of over 35km only in five minutes.
• As per the terms of the MoU, the HTT will conduct a feasibility study from October 2017 to analyse the surrounding cityscapes to create the best route between the two cities.
• After the six-month feasibility study, the first Hyperloop will be constructed in India.
What is Hyperloop?
• A hyperloop is a proposed mode of passenger and/or freight transportation.
• It was first named as such in an open-source vactrain design released by a joint team from Tesla and SpaceX.
• A hyperloop comprises a sealed tube or system of tubes through which a pod may travel free of air resistance or friction conveying people or objects at optimal speed and acceleration.
• The concept of Hyperloop mode of transportation is notably backed by business magnate and inventor Elon Musk.