CJI Dipak Misra recommends Justice Ranjan Gogoi as his successor
Chief Justice of India, Dipak Misra on September 4, 2018 recommended the name of Justice Ranjan Gogoi as the next Chief Justice of India. This recommendation will now be processed and forwarded to the President who will issue the warrant of appointment.
CJI Misra retires on October 2, 2018. He was sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India (CJI) on August 28, 2017.
Once Gogoi’s appointment is confirmed, he will become the first Supreme Court judge from the north-east to be appointed as Chief Justice of India. He will assume the office of the Chief Justice of India on October 3, 2018 and will have tenure of 13 months till November 17, 2019.
Justice Gogoi is the second most senior judge of the Supreme Court.
Justice Ranjan Gogoi
• Son of former Assam Chief Minister, late Keshab Chandra Gogoi, Justice Gogoi joined the Bar in 1978.
• He practiced mainly in the Gauhati High Court where he was appointed as Permanent Judge in February 2001.
• He was transferred to Punjab & Haryana High Court on September 9, 2010 and was elevated as Chief Justice of the High Court on February 12, 2011.
• He was appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court on April 23, 2012.
• Justice Gogoi headed the bench that directed the government to set up special courts to fast track cases against politicians.
• Another bench headed by him is currently monitoring the case of Assam’s National Register of Citizens that intends to identify illegal migrants in the state.
Justice Ranjan Gogoi gained limelight recently after he addressed a press conference on January 12, 2018 along with his three colleagues -– Justices J Chelameswar (since retired), Madan B Lokur and Kurian Joseph.
These four judges had complained about the selective allocation of cases to preferred benches by the CJI. They had also claimed that the "senior-most judges" were ignored when cases were allocated.
Following the press conference, there were speculations that whether Justice Gogoi’s name would be recommended for the CJI’s post. However, Justice Misra wiped-off all those speculations by adhering to the tradition of recommending the senior-most judge after him for the apex office.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week