Current Affairs in Short: 1 June 2018
Price of non-subsidised LPG increases by Rs 48
• The price of non-subsidised cooking gas LPG was increased by 48 rupees per cylinder on June 1, 2018 in New Delhi.
• The cost of the gas will now be Rs 698 in Delhi, Rs 723.50 in Kolkatta, Rs 671. 50 in Mumbai and Rs 712.50 in Chennai.
• The price of subsidised LPG has also been increased by Rs 2.34 per cylinder in New Delhi. It will now cost Rs 493.55 per 14.2 kg cylinder in Delhi, Rs 496.65 in Kolkata, Rs 491. 31 in Mumbai and Rs 481. 84 in Chennai.
NAFTA: US will agree to a fair deal, or none at all
• US President Donald Trump has said he would agree to a fair deal on the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which is currently being renegotiated with Canada and Mexico, or there would be no deal at all.
• In a statement issued on May 31, Trump said he had conveyed to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the US will agree to a fair deal or there will be no deal at all.
• Earlier, the Canadian Prime Minister had accused US Vice President Mike Pence for the collapse of the NAFTA negotiations.
• Trump, Trudeau and several other world leaders are scheduled to meet next week in Canada at a G-7 meeting.
CWG gold medallist weightlifter Sanjita Chanu fails dope test
• Two-time Commonwealth Games champion weightlifter Sanjita Chanu, who had won a gold in the women's 53kg category in the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, was tested positive for a banned anabolic steroid, testosterone.
• As a consequence, the Athlete would be provisionally suspended in the view of a potential anti-doping rule violation.
• Sanjita had taken part in the 53kg class in the World Championship in Anaheim (US) in November last year, finishing 13th with a total lift of 177kg.
• She had lifted a total of 192kg to win the gold in 53kg in Gold Coast. She had also won a gold in the 48kg category in the 2014 CWG at Glasgow.
Justice (Retd) Nasirul Mulk takes oath as caretaker Pak PM
• Retired Justice Nasirul Mulk took oath as the seventh caretaker Prime Minister of Pakistan on June1, 2018.
• President Mamnoon Hussain administered oath to Mulk at a ceremony at President House in Islamabad, hours after the National Assembly was formally dissolved in the lead up to the elections.
• Mulk, was unanimously nominated for the post by both the government and opposition.
Nipah virus: Delhi government issues advisory, asks people to be careful in consuming fruits
• Delhi government issued an advisory on June 1, 2018 asking people to be cautious in wake of the spread of Nipah virus in Kerala.
• The government has asked people to stop consumption of raw date palm sap and take special precaution when it comes to consuming mangoes that have fallen off trees and lying under them this season.
• The advisory asked people to report to the health care facility immediately if someone is having viral fever-like symptoms with neck rigidity.
• The advisory has also asked people to not go for self-medication. The government said that no human infection from the deadly virus has been reported in the national capital.
Haryana to have one-stop centres for women affected by violence
• In Haryana, each district will now get one-stop centres to facilitate integrated services for women affected by violence.
• A spokesperson for the women and child development department has said that at present seven one-stop centres are functional in many districts and now Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has accorded approval for the setting up of 15 more centres in other districts.
• The aim of the centres is to facilitate integrated services for women affected by violence.
• The services would include police assistance, medical aid, psycho-social counselling, legal aid and counselling and temporary stay for five days.
• One stop centre is hundred per cent centrally sponsored scheme under the Nirbhaya Fund.
HC sets aside policies to regularise services of contractual employees in Haryana
• The Punjab and Haryana High court on June 1, 2018 set aside the previous Bhupinder Singh Hooda-led Haryana government's policies to regularise services of contractual employees.
• The previous Congress-led government had framed policies to regularise thousands of employees in group B, C and D in 2014.
• The HC bench of justices Rajesh Bindal and Anil Kshetarpal said that the exercise for framing the aforesaid four policies in June and July 2014 was to please voters as the state was in election mode and assembly elections were due in October 2014.
• The High Court said that the policies in violation of the law laid down by the Supreme Court deserve to be quashed. However, the court allowed the employees to continue for a period of six months.
Rare neutron star discovered
• NASA scientists have discovered a special kind of neutron star for the first time outside of the Milky Way galaxy.
• Neutron stars are the ultra dense cores of massive stars that collapse and undergo a supernova explosion.
• The newly identified neutron star was discovered using data from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory and the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope in Chile.