Current Affairs in Short: 16 October 2019
Dr Harsh Vardhan launches Food Safety Mitra Scheme
• Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, launched Food Safety Mitra Scheme to engage youth with the food safety ecosystem at ground level.
• He also launched two other initiatives - Eat Right Jhola and Eat Right Jacket on the occasion of World Food Day.
• Eat Right Jhola is a reusable and bio-degradable bag while Eat Right Smart Jacket is a uniform for FSSAI staff.
RBI guidelines for ‘on tap' payment systems
• RBI has issued some instructions and guidelines authorisation of payment systems. It includes minimum net worth criteria for different players.
• The government has decided to offer on-tap authorisation for Bharat Bill Payment Operating Unit (BBPOU), White Label ATMs (WLAs) and Trade Receivables Discounting System (TReDS).
• As per the guidelines, interested entities should have a minimum of 100 crore rupees net worth and should be maintained at all times.
Spain and Britain suspends military exports to Turkey
• Turkey will not be able to receive military exports from Britain and Spain anymore as both countries have joined other major powers in suspending military exports to Turkey.
• Britain announced that no further export licences will be granted to Turkey and Spain said that there will be a halt on sales of military material to Turkey.
• The world powers are taking such action because Syrian forces are entering into some areas of Turkey.
Also Read | Current Affairs in Short: 14 October 2019
J.P.S. Chawla takes charge as new Controller General of Accounts
• JPS Chawla is 1985-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) Officer. He has assumed the office as new Controller General of Accounts (CGA).
• He has served as Principal Chief Controller of Accounts, Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC).
• JPS Chawla has held various cadre posts at different levels in a number of Ministries/Departments with Prasar Bharti, Urban Development, Civil Aviation and Tourism among others.
NASA unveils space-suit for Moon mission
• NASA has unveiled its next-generation space-suits for upcoming Artemis programme. Artemis is scheduled to launch by 2024.
• It will be NASA’s first woman mission on the Moon. This space-suit will be more flexible and easy to wear, NASA reported.
• NASA announced that it will allow astronauts to squat to pick up rocks and move more easily.