Current Affairs in Short: 19 October 2019
Interpol General Assembly to be held in India in 2022
• India will be the host country of 91st Interpol General Assembly in 2022. It was decided after a proposal received the overwhelming support of member countries.
• In 1997, Interpol had hosted its general assembly in India where all member states participated.
• The International Criminal Police Organisation has 194 member states. It was established in 1923.
Chile declares emergency in Santiago state
• Sebastian Pinera, President of Chile, has declared a state emergency in Santiago, a state in the country. The president has given all the powers to the military to bring peace and harmony in the state.
• The decision was taken after violent protests over an increase in the price of metro tickets held in the state. Protesters blocked the railway system and clashed with the police.
• President Sebastian Pinera clarified that the objective behind emergency declaration is to ensure public order and peace for the inhabitants of Santiago.
DNA Technology Regulation Bill transferred to standing committee
• Parliamentary Standing Committee has got The DNA Technology Regulation Bill for examination. The bill seeks to control the use of DNA technology for establishing the identity of a person.
• Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkiah Naidu referred the bill to Standing Committee on Science and Technology.
• The bill seeks to control the misuse of DNA for establishing the identity of a person in certain categories.
Also Read | Current Affairs in Short: 18 October 2019
Army Commanders Conference Held in New Delhi
• Defence Minister Rajnath Singh addressed the Army Commander Conference which was conducted between October 14 and October 18, 2019, in New Delhi.
• It was decided in the conference that the procurement of slow-moving UAVs is required for the Indian Army.
• More than 40 companies participated and showcased their sophisticated military equipment.
Raunak Sadhwani becomes 6th Grand Master of India
• Raunak Sadhwani (13) has become India’s 65th Grand Master. He crossed the required mark for achieving this feat and earned a rating of 2500.
• Vladimir Kramnik, former world Champion, was his trainer and master.
• World Chess Federation FIDE gives the title of Grand Master to the chess players according to their rankings.
Also Read | Mark Hurd, CEO of Oracle, passes away at 62