Current Affairs in Short: 22 October 2019
Nobel Laureate Abhijit Banerjee meets PM Modi
• Nobel Laureate Abhijit Banerjee met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and had interaction on various subjects.
• PM Modi said in a tweet after meeting that he had an excellent meeting with Mr Banerjee and both had a healthy and extensive interaction on various subjects.
• Abhijit Banerjee has jointly won Nobel in economics for 2019. He won this award for an experimental approach to alleviating global poverty.
US wins ownership of seized North Korean ship
• The United States Justice Department recently announced that the US has been awarded ownership of a North Korean cargo ship that was seized for violating international sanctions.
• Southern District of New York’s latest ruling said that the US government can own this vessel and it will be handed over to Treasury Department.
• It was caught on April 2018 carrying a three million US Dollar shipment of coal. It is known as The Wise Honest ship which is one of the largest cargo ships in North Korea’s fleet.
Heads of 91 Foreign Missions in India visited Golden Temple
• In connection to celebrations of 550th Prakash Purab of Shri Guru Nanak Dev, the delegation of the Heads of 91 Foreign Missions in India reached Amritsar.
• Union Cabinet has already announced to celebrate 550th Birth Anniversary of Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji on 12th of next month throughout the country and across the globe.
• Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) organized this visit in collaboration with the State Government of Punjab.
Also Read | Current Affairs in Short: 19 October 2019
Theme of 50th International Film Festival released
• The 50th International Film Festival of India announced the theme and list of movies to be screened during the festival.
• According to the government release, the theme for Open Air Screenings for 50th IFFI would be ‘The Joy of Cinema’.
• Seven movies will be screened at Jogger’s Park, Altinho and seven movies will be screened at Miramar Beach, Goa.
US India Strategic Partnership Forum meets PM Modi
• Members of US India Strategic Partnership Forum recently met with PM Modi where he highlighted the initiatives like the reduction of corporate tax and labour reforms.
• PM Modi also informed the members that Indian youth has a capacity of taking entrepreneurial risks.
• Some steps taken by the Modi government were also highlighted before the members like the establishment of Atal Tinkering Labs and conducting Hackathons. These steps were taken to boost innovation potential and solve problems using technology.