Girish Karnad to be honoured with Tata Literature Lifetime Achievement Award 2017
Versatile actor and playwright Girish Karnad will be honoured with Tata Literature Live! Lifetime Achievement Award 2017 on 19 November 2017. The award will be presented to the veteran actor at the National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA), Nariman Point in Mumbai. The actor will receive the award as a playwright.
• Girish Raghunath Karnad is an Indian actor, film director and writer playwright.
• He is predominantly associated with South Indian cinema and has worked in several Hindi Cinema.
• Many of his plays of the 1960s such as 'Yayati' (1961), the historical 'Tughlaq' (1964), 'Hayavadana' (1971), 'Naga-mandala' (1988) and 'Taledanda' (1990) earned him international praise.
• He writes in Kannada which is often translated in English and some other Indian languages.
• He is also a proud recipient of Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan awards.
Among other recipients of the Tata Literature Live! Lifetime Achievement Award include notable writers Amitav Ghosh (2016), Kiran Nagarkar (2015), MT Vasudevan Nair (2014), Khushwant Singh (2013), VS Naipaul (2012), and Mahashweta Devi (2011).
Tata Literature Live! Lifetime Achievement Award which honours distinguished writers in India will be held from 16-19 November 2017 in Mumbai.