ILO releases World Social Protection Report 2017-2019
4 billion people worldwide are left without social protection: ILO
The International Labour Organisation (ILO) in November 2017 released the World Social Protection Report 2017-2019.
The World Social Protection Report depicts that only 45 per cent of the global population is effectively covered by at least one social benefit, while the remaining 55 per cent that is 4 billion people are left unprotected.
India ratifies two ILO Conventions on elimination of child labour
Highlights of World Social Protection Report 2017-2019
• Only 29 per cent of the population enjoys access to social security, while the other 71 per cent population is not or partially protected.
• It recommends an increase of public expenditure on social protection to extend social protection coverage, especially in Africa, Asia and the Arab States.
• It emphasizes that universal social protection contributes to eradicating poverty, reducing inequality, promoting economic growth and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
• The ILO report looks at specific aspects of social protection, providing global and regional findings based on new data in the following areas:
• Only 35 per cent of children worldwide enjoy effective access to social protection. Around 1.3 billion children that is two thirds of children globally are not covered and most of them live in Africa and Asia.
• Only 1.1 per cent of GDP is spent on child and family benefits for children aged 0-14.
• Cash transfers for children have expanded in low- and middle-income countries over the past decades. However, coverage and benefit levels still remain insufficient
• Social protection coverage for working people is still limited. Only 41.1 per cent of mothers with newborns receive a maternity benefit and 83 million new mothers remain uncovered.
• Only 21.8 per cent of unemployed workers are covered by unemployment benefits, while 152 million unemployed workers remain without coverage.
• 27.8 per cent of persons with severe disabilities worldwide receive a disability benefit.
• 68 per cent of people above retirement age receive old-age pension, which is associated with the expansion of both non-contributory and contributory pensions in many countries.
• Right to health is not a reality yet in many parts of the world, especially in rural areas where 56 per cent of the population lacks health coverage, compared to 22 per cent in urban areas.
• Long-term health care still excludes more than 48 per cent of the world’s population, with women disproportionately affected.
• Only 5.6 per cent of the population lives in countries that provide long-term care coverage based on national legislation.
Goa tops Gender Vulnerability Index, Bihar at bottom