NITI Aayog, Intel and TIFR tie-up to set up Model International Center for Transformative AI
NITI Aayog, Intel, and the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) on September 7, 2018 collaborated to set up a Model International Center for Transformative Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI).
The research centre will be set up with an aim to develop and deploy Artificial Intelligence-led application-based research projects. Aiming to solve major challenges in India, the center will focus on application-based AI research in healthcare, agriculture and smart mobility.
Model International Center for Transformative Artificial Intelligence
• Based in Bengaluru, the Model ICTAI aims to conduct advanced research to incubate AI-led solutions in three important areas – healthcare, agriculture and smart mobility – by bringing together the expertise of Intel and TIFR.
• It aims to experiment, discover and establish best practices in the domains of ICTAI governance, fundamental research, physical infrastructure, compute and service infrastructure needs, and talent acquisition.
• The model ICTAI will develop AI foundational frameworks, tools and assets, including curated datasets and unique AI algorithms.
• The aim is to develop standards and support policy development related to information technology such as data-storage, information security, privacy, and ethics for data capture and use.
• It plans to develop AI foundational technologies to promote applied research that can scale for national impact and will lead to the creation of a vibrant and self-sustaining ecosystem.
• Another key area of its focus will be collaboration with industry leaders, startups, AI services and product companies to productise technologies that will be developed at the model ICTAI.
• The learning and best practices developed through this model ICTAI will be used by NITI Aayog to set up the future ICTAIs across country.
• This initiative is part of NITI Aayog’s ‘National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence’, a Discussion Paper that focuses on establishing ICTAI in the country through private sector collaboration.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week