Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana: Guidelines launched for States to implement scheme; PM-Kisan Portal launched
The Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare on February 7, 2019 launched a platform named PM Kisan, http://pmkisan.nic.in, under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN) for uploading the details of the Small and Marginal Farmers (SMF).
The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana was announced in the Union Interim Budget 2019 by Finance Minister Piyush Goyal.
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN)
Agriculture Minister’s letter to states for implementation of PM-KISAN
The Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, Radha Mohan Singh on February 8, 2019 wrote to the Chief Ministers of all States for their support in the effective and speedy implementation of the PM-KISAN Yojana so that the entitled benefits are speedily transferred to the farmers. Here is the content of the letter:
Guidelines for States for implementation of the scheme:
• The selection of eligible small farmer families under the scheme will be undertaken by the State Governments.
• The necessary details such as bank account details will be provided on the online portal so that the first installment of the benefits can be transferred to the eligible families.
• The States will prepare database of eligible beneficiary landholder farmer families in the villages capturing the Name, Age, Gender, Category (SC/ST) , Aadhaar Number/ Driving Licence/Voters’ ID Card/ NREGA Job Card, Bank Account Number, IFSC Code.
• Though mobile number is not mandatory, but it may be noted when available so that the information related to transfer of benefit can be communicated.
• States/UTs shall ensure that there is no duplication of the payment transferred to eligible families.
• Speedy settlement in case of wrong or incomplete bank details of the beneficiary should be ensured.
Objective behind launching of the scheme
Considering that the declining prices of agricultural commodities and food inflation led to reduced returns for farmers, the Government felt the need for structured income support for farmers to procure seeds and labour.
Taking this into account, the Government introduced Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana for farmers’ welfare.