Sunil Arora appointed as new Chief Election Commissioner
Sunil Arora on December 2, 2018 assumed charge as the 23rd Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India succeeding O P Rawat, who demitted the office on December 1, 2018 after completing his tenure.
President Ram Nath Kovind had officially announced Arora’s appointment to the post on November 26, 2018. The 62-year-old was appointed to the Election Commission on August 31, 2017. He was brought in to fill the vacancy created by former CEC Nasim Zaidi’s retirement.
A CEC of the Election Commission can have a term of six years or hold office till the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
The post of Chief Election Commissioner is generally given to the senior-most election commissioner within the Election Commission.
About Sunil Arora
• Sunil Arora is a 1980 batch IAS officer of the Rajasthan Cadre, who has held top positions in various government departments and ministries.
• Prior to being appointed as a top bureaucrat in the central government, he served as the secretary to the Chief Minister from 1993 to 1998. He served as the principal secretary of CM Vasundhara Raje from 2005 to 2008.
• He also handled Information and Public Relations (IPR), Industries and Investment Departments in the state besides having district postings in Dholpur, Alwar, Nagaur and Jodhpur.
• He was later appointed as the Secretary in the Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting and the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
• He has also served as the joint secretary in the Ministry of Civil Aviation from 1999 to 2002.
• He also worked in finance, textile and planning commission during his long career as a bureaucrat.
• He also worked as chief managing director of the Indian Airlines for a period of five years, with two years as additional charge and three years as full charge.
The Election Commission will hold the 2019 general election under him.
Besides the Lok Sabha polls, Assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir, Odisha, Maharashtra, Haryana, Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim are also scheduled to be held next year.