Top Current Affairs Quiz: 2 July 2018
2 July 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as GST Day, ICC Hall of Fame and new app to track missing children among others.
1. When was the first GST Day celebrated in India?
a) 29 June
b) 30 June
c) 1 July
d) 2 July
2. Which veteran cricketer became the fifth Indian player to be named in the Hall of Fame?
a) Sachin Tendulkar
b) Rahul Dravid
c) Yuvraj Singh
d) MS Dhoni
3. Which committee was constituted by the Union Government to upgrade norms for state & district level economic data collection?
a) Susheel Kumar Committee
b) Ravindra H Dholakia Committee
c) Bimal Jalan Committee
d) S Kashyap Committee
4. Which app was launched by government in June 2018 to track and trace missing children in India?
5. Which city will host the Conference of States’ Power Ministers?
b) New Delhi
d) Dehra Dun
6. What was India’s rank is 2018 Global Real Estate Transparency Index (GRETI)?
7. Who is the only invitee from Asia in the Golden Globe Race 2018?
a) Abhilash Tomy
b) Akshay Thapar
c) A R Karve
d) Karambir Singh
8. Andres Iniesta, who was among the most sought-after football players, has retired from international soccer. Which nation did he play for?
9. Which dental institute has been ranked as the best in India for the seventh year in a row?
a) Manipal College of Dental Sciences
b) Coorg Institute of Dental Sciences
d) Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences
10. Which district topped the first Delta ranking released in June 2018 by NITI Aayog that captures incremental improvements of Aspirational districts?
b) West Sikkim
11. Which journalist was elected as the new President of Delhi and Districts Cricket Association?
a) Rajdeep Sardesai
b) Vikram Chandra
c) Karan Thapar
d) Rajat Sharma
12. The Victorian Gothic and Art Deco Ensemble was recently declared as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Where is the site located?
Answers with Explanation
1. (c) 1 July
India on July 1, 2018 observed the 1st Goods and Services Tax (GST) Day to commemorate the first year of the unprecedented reform of Indian taxation. The celebrations were presided by the Union Minister for Railways, Coal and Finance Piyush Goyal as the Chief Guest and Minister of State for Finance Shiv Pratap Shukla was the Guest of Honour.
2. (b) Rahul Dravid
The International Cricket Council (ICC) on July 1, 2018 inducted former Indian captain Rahul Dravid, former Australian captain Ricky Ponting and former England Women’s wicket-keeper Claire Taylor into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame in a glittering ceremony in Dublin, Ireland. With the move, Dravid became the fifth Indian player to be named in the Hall of Fame.
3. (b) Ravindra H Dholakia committee
The Union government has constituted a committee a 13-member committee to upgrade the norms for computation of economic data at states and districts level in the backdrop of plans to revise the base year for National Accounts or GDP calculation. The Committee for Sub-National Accounts will be headed by Ravindra H Dholakia, a retired professor of IIM Ahmedabad.
4. (d) ReUnite
Union Minister Suresh Prabhu launched a mobile application called ReUnite to track and trace missing and abandoned children in India. It uses Amazon Rekognition, web facial recognition service to identify missing kids.
5. (c) Shimla
The Conference of Ministers for Power, New & Renewable Energy of states & union territories will be held on July 3, 2018 in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. The one-day conference aims to review the implementation of various ongoing schemes/ programmes & deliberate on a host of issues relating to power and renewable energy sectors.
6. (a) 35th
India moved up one place from 36 in 2016 to 35th spot in 2018 on JLL’s Global Real Estate Transparency Index (GRETI) aided by improvement in market fundamentals, policy reforms, and liberalization of FDI. The report covers 100 markets and is based on 186 indicators.
7. (a) Abhilash Tomy
Indian Naval officer Commander Abhilash Tomy has become the only Asian to be selected to participate in the prestigious Golden Globe Race (GGR), which commenced from Les Sables d’Olonne harbour in France on July 1. The race requires all the participants to sail around the world, single-handed and non-stop.
8. (c) Spain
Andres Iniesta, the elegant midfielder who was a symbol of Spain's golden generation, retired from international soccer following the team's loss to Russia in a penalty shootout at the World Cup. In addition to scoring the World Cup's winning goal in 2010, Iniesta had also been key for Spain when it won the 2008 and 2012 European Championships.
9. (d) Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences
The Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences (MAIDS) under the Government of NCT of Delhi has been ranked the "Best Dental College in India for the seventh year in a row. The evaluation was done on the basis of reports of independent rating agencies of Hansa Research, Drshti Strategic Research Services and Nielsen India. MAIDS outshone 310 dental colleges to become No. 1 in dental education in India.
10. (c) Dahod
Gujarat’s Dahod district topped the first Delta ranking released today by NITI Aayog that captures incremental improvements of Aspirational districts on health, education and other development parameters.
11. (d) Rajat Sharma
Senior journalist Rajat Sharma has beaten World Cup winning India cricketer Madan Lal by 517 votes to become the new president of Delhi and Districts Cricket Association. Sharma got a total of 1531 votes while former Test cricketer Lal could only poll 1004 votes. The third candidate in the fray, advocate Vikas Singh, got only 232 votes.
12. (a) Mumbai
The Victorian Gothic and Art Deco Ensemble of Mumbai has been declared as a World Heritage site by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The decision was taken at the 42nd session of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee at Manama in Bahrain.