Weekly Current Affairs Quiz: 9 September to 14 September 2019
9 September to 14 September 2019: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award, Ram Jethmalani, South Asia’s first cross-border oil pipeline, US Open and discovery of water on a super-Earth among others.
1. Which of the following personalities has been bestowed with the 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award?
a) Ravish Kumar
b) Kiran Bedi
c) Arvind Kejriwal
d) Arnab Goswami
2. Which among the following Union Territories will have a common high court?
a) Ladakh and Chandigarh
b) Jammu & Kashmir and Daman and Diu
c) Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh
d) Jammu & Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh
3. Ram Jethmalani, one of India’s most renowned and respected criminal lawyers, passed away at the age of 95 on September 8, 2019. Jethmalani had not fought in which among the following cases?
a) Ajmal Kasab death penalty case
b) Indira Gandhi Assassination case
c) Rajiv Gandhi assassination case
d) Jessica Lall case
4. PM has inaugurated South Asia’s first cross-border oil pipeline. The pipeline will connect India with which nation?
5. Which Committee has been constituted by the Union Government to oversee the bifurcation of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) into Union Territories?
a) Sanjay Mitra Committee
b) Rajnath Singh Committee
c) Amit Shah Committee
d) Ajay Kumar Committee
6. Which nation’s president announced recently that he has cancelled his secret meeting with the Taliban leaders and Afghanistan President?
b) United States
7. How many times has Spain's star tennis player Rafael Nadal won the US Open title?
8. Water has been discovered on which potentially habitable super-Earth?
9. Which of the following countries became the 79th member of the International Solar Alliance?
b) St. Vincent and Grenadines
c) St. Lucia
d) Dominican Republic
10. Which country has won the ‘Best Video’ award for the Asia & Pacific Region in the UNWTO Tourism Video Competition 2019?
b) Sri Lanka
1. (a) Ravish Kumar
Indian journalist Ravish Kumar has been honoured with the prestigious 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award. The four other winners of the Award are Ko Swe Win from Myanmar, Raymundo Pujante Cayabyab from the Philippines, Angkhana Neelapaijit from Thailand, and Kim Jong-Ki from South Korea.
2. (c) Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh
The two Union Territories- Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh will have a common high court, Jammu and Kashmir High Court. Among the old laws, 164 state laws would be repealed and 166 state laws will continue to be applicable and 108 Central Laws would be made applicable for the two Union Territories.
3. (a) Ajmal Kasab death penalty case
Ram Jethmalani, senior Supreme Court lawyer passed away on September 8, 2019. He was 95. Jethmalani, a criminal lawyer par excellence, fought several high-profile cases such as Indira Gandhi and Rajib Gandhi’s assassination case, the Jessica Lall case, Jayalalitha disproportionate assets case and Arun Jaitely defamation case against Arvind Kejriwal among others.
4. (a) Nepal
Prime Minister Narendra Modi jointly inaugurated South Asia’s first cross-border pipeline to enhance the energy security of Nepal. The India-Nepal cross-border petroleum pipeline is South Asia’s first cross-border pipeline. The project will ensure a reduction in fuel prices by substantially cutting down on transit costs.
5. (a) Sanjay Mitra Committee
The Union government recently constituted a 3-member committee chaired by former defence secretary Sanjay Mitra to oversee the bifurcation of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) into two Union Territories. The other Members of the Committee are Arun Goyal, retired IAS officer and Giriraj Prasad Gupta, retired Indian Civil Accounts Service officer. The Committee will look into distribution of assets and liabilities of J&K between two UTs.
6. (b) United States
US President Donald Trump revealed on September 8, 2019 that he has called off his planned secret meeting with top Taliban leaders after they admitted to an attack in Kabul that killed a US soldier and 11 others.
7. (c ) 19
Rafael Nadal won his 19th Grand Slam title by winning the US Open final, defeating Daniil Medvedev 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4 to seize his fourth crown in New York. Spain’s star tennis player Rafael Nadal (33) is one behind of Roger Federer’s 20 Grand Slam triumphs.
8. (d) K2-18b
Water has been detected by scientists in the atmosphere of a potentially habitable super-Earth. The exoplanet, named K2-18b, is twice the size and eight times the mass of Earth. K2-18b is the first planet outside the solar system in the habitable zone of its star known to have water in its atmosphere.
9. (b) St. Vincent and Grenadines
Saint Vincent and Grenadines became the 79th country to join the International Solar Alliance (ISA). It is an initiative by India aimed at combating the threats of climate change and global warming. The International Solar Alliance is a group of 121 solar resource-rich countries with headquarters in Gurugram, India.
10. (d) India
India’s ‘Yogi of the Racetrack’ has won ‘Best Video’ award for the Asia & Pacific Region in the UNWTO Tourism Video Competition 2019. Yogi of the Racetrack is a short promotional film on Yoga, which was produced by the Union Ministry of Tourism.