Cricket World Cup 2019 Semi-Final Qualification Scenarios: These four teams might make the cut!
World Cup Semi-Finalists 2019: After India vs England match, the competition for the fourth semi-finalist spot has got tougher. Can Pakistan still qualify to the semi-finals? Get all the qualification scenarios here.
World Cup Semi-Finalists 2019: Australia has become the first team to qualify for the semi-finals of ICC Cricket World 2019. India and New Zealand are one match away from confirming their semi-final spots. While it was initially thought to be crystal clear who the fourth semi-finalist would be, a range of upsets have overturned the whole qualification scenario of World Cup 2019, paving the way for many teams to fight for the final semi-final spot.
Currently, the top three teams in the World Cup points table include Australia, India and New Zealand. While Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, who are in contention for the fourth semi-final spot, were praying for England's loss against India on June 30, the opposite happened and the unbeaten India lost to the hosts by 31 runs at Edgbaston, Birmingham. With the win, England has risen to the fourth spot in the world cup points table with 10 points in eight matches, displacing Pakistan that has 9 points in eight matches. England's win has made the competition for the fourth semi-final spot tougher for Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Top Three World Cup 2019 Semi-Finalists
1. Australia: Australia has become the first team in the ICC World Cup 2019 to qualify for the semi-finals. Australia tops the world cup pionts table with 14 points in eight matches. Overall, in its eight matches, Australia has lost just one match that too against India. The team is now left with one match in the world cup group stage, which will be against South Africa.
2. India: India is ranked second on the world cup points table with 11 points in seven matches. England ended India's unbeaten streak by defeating them by 31 runs on June 30. India needs to win one more match to qualify for the world cup semi-finals. India is yet to face Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
3. New Zealand: New Zealand is ranked third on the world cup points table with 11 points in eight matches. The team, which was unbeaten in the world cup, faced two consecutive defeats at the hands of Pakistan and Australia. New Zealand also needs one more win to qualify for the semi-finals and it is only left with one match, which will be against England.
Fourth semi-finalist in World Cup 2019: Who will triumph in the fight for the fourth semi-final spot?
1. England – Yet to face New Zealand
England, which had thrown open the door for the fourth semi-finalist spot in ICC World Cup 2019 with its loss against Sri Lanka, looks to have regained some of its earlier momentum with a formidable show against the formerly unbeaten India. The hosts, by beating India by 31 runs, have risen to the fourth spot in the world cup points table with 10 points from eight matches. If England wins its last remaining group stage match against New Zealand, then it will seal its position as the fourth semi-finalist. However, if England loses against New Zealand, it will be stuck with 10 points.
Three Qualification scenarios for England if they end up with 8 points:
1. Pakistan loses its last remaining match against Bangladesh
2. Bangladesh loses at least one of its two remaining world cup matches.
3. Sri Lanka loses at least one of its two remaining world cup matches. However, even if Sri Lanka wins both the matches, it will have to win by a huge margin to improve its net run rate, otherwise it will have the same points as England and the hosts will qualify due to better net run rate.
2. Pakistan – Yet to face Bangladesh
From lying second to the bottom after its match against India, Pakistan has risen like a phoenix in the ongoing world cup to be one of the top contenders for the spot of the fourth semi-finalist. After three defeats, Pakistan went against the odds to win three consecutive matches against South Africa, New Zealand and Afghanistan. Pakistan not only ended New Zealand's unbeaten streak by defeating them by 6 wickets but also survived a close call against Afghanistan. The men-in-green just have one more match to go, which will be against Bangladesh. Both Bangladesh and Pakistan would be looking for a win. Pakistan currently has 9 points from eight matches. A win over Bangladesh will take it to 11 points but it will still have to bank upon England to lose its match against New Zealand. There is no other way that Pakistan will make it to the semi-finals.
World Cup qualification scenario for Pakistan:
1. Pakistan wins its next match against Bangladesh.
2. England loses its next match against New Zealand.
3. Bangladesh and Pakistan do not win more than two matches.
3. Sri Lanka – Yet to face West Indies, India
Sri Lanka, which had earlier thrown open the door to the fourth world cup semi-finalist place, is currently struggling to stay afloat in the world cup. Sri Lanka has 6 points from seven matches and it has two matches remaining, against West Indies and India. Even if Sri Lanka manages to win its remaining two matches, its chances of going into the world cup semi-finals are almost nil, as it will have to bank upon England and Pakistan to lose their next matches and Bangladesh to lose at least one of their remaining two matches. Even if they lose and Sri Lanka wins its two matches, it will be tied with England at 10 points and Sri Lanka's net run rate is way less than England. Sri Lanka will need to win its next two matches with a huge margin and expect England to lose by a huge margin to make its place in the semi-finals, which is unlikely.
4. Bangladesh- Yet to face India, Pakistan
Bangladesh has 7 points from seven matches through major upsets over South Africa and the West Indies. Similar to Pakistan, the team will need to win both their remaining matches to have a chance at qualifying for the world cup semi-finals. Bangladesh is yet to face India and Pakistan. Even if Bangladesh wins both the matches, it will have to bank upon England to lose its match against New Zealand and Sri Lanka to not win more than one match.
Which teams are out of the world cup race?
Afghanistan, which lies at the bottom of the world cup points table, is definitely out of the tournament. Following it is South Africa, which became the first major team to be out of the world cup tournament. The Proteas, however, played a game changer role in the end by defeating Sri Lanka and diminishing their chances to qualify for the world cup semi-finals. The West Indies, which currently have 3 points from seven matches, are also out of the world cup tournament.