Current Affairs 16 April 2019 Digest 1: Top Cabinet Approvals
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the creation of one post of Deputy Comptroller & Auditor General (Coordination, Communication and Information System) in Pay Level-17 in the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG).
Cabinet approves creation of one post of Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General in CAG
• The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the creation of one post of Deputy Comptroller & Auditor General (Coordination, Communication and Information System) in Pay Level-17 in the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG).
• The Deputy Comptroller & Auditor General will oversee the coordination among State Audits and audit of telecommunication.
• He or she will coordinate the various Information Systems (IS) initiatives within the Indian Audit & Accounts Department (IA&AD).
• The Government will bear expenditure of around Rs 21 lakh on account of creation of this post.
Cabinet apprised of MoU between India and Korea on issuing Postage Stamp
• The Union Cabinet was apprised about an MoU signed in February 2019 between India and Korea to jointly issue Postage Stamps on the theme "Queen Hur Hwang-ok of Korea".
• The MoU was signed between the Department of Posts, Union Ministry of Communications and The Ministry of Science and ICT (Korea Post).
• The joint stamps will be released on a mutually agreed date by the end of 2019.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Bolivia on Cooperation in Geology and Mineral Resources
• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Bolivia on Cooperation in the field of Geology and Mineral Resources. The MoU was signed in Bolivia in March 2019.
• The MoU will provide an institutional mechanism between India and Bolivia for cooperation in the field of Mineral Resources.
• It provides for exchange of information on resources, laws and policy, holding of seminars to exchange views on development strategies, encouragement of transfer of technologies, etc.
• It will also encourage promotion of value addition to enable taking up of activities like documentation and dissemination.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Cambodia on Cooperation in communications
• The Union Cabinet approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Cambodia on Cooperation in the field of Communications.
• The MoU was signed in Cambodia in March 2019.
• The MoU will contribute in strengthening bilateral cooperation and mutual understanding between India and Cambodia in the field of communications.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Bolivia in field of Medicine and Homoeopathy
• The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Bolivia in the field of traditional systems of medicine and homoeopathy. The MoU was signed in Bolivia in March 2019.
• The MoU will be mutually beneficial between the two countries for promotion of traditional systems of medicine and homoeopathy.
• It will lead to promotion of Traditional Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy and AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) systems of Medicine in Bolivia.
• It will further facilitate exchange of experts for training of the practitioners and scientists undertaking collaborative research.
Cabinet approves agreement between India & Denmark in field of Renewable Energy
• The Union Cabinet approved a cooperation agreement between the Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy and Danish Ministry for Energy, Utilities and Climate on strategic cooperation in the field of Renewable Energy with a focus on Offshore Wind Energy.
• The cabinet also approved a Letter of Intent (LoI) between both the sides to establish an Indo-Danish Centre of Excellence for renewable energy in India. The Agreement was signed in March 2019 in New Delhi.
• The Cooperation Agreement aims to encourage technical capacity building for management of offshore wind projects, and measures to develop and sustain a highly efficient wind industry.
• It will encourage both the sides to undertake measures to ensure high quality of wind turbines, components, and certification requirements; forecasting and scheduling of off-shore wind projects.
• The Indo-Danish Centre of Excellence in Integrated Renewable Power would work on Renewable energy resource assessments with focus on onshore and offshore wind; Hybridisation of wind, solar, hydro and storage technologies; Testing and R&D; and skill development / capacity building.
Cabinet apprised of MoU between India and Brazil in area of Biotechnology
• The Union Cabinet was apprised of an MoU signed in May 2018 between India and Brazil in the area of Biotechnology.
• The MoU was signed to strengthen the ties between India and Brazil to work out the future agenda for the collaboration for innovation in Science & Technology.
• The broad areas of collaboration are - Biomedicine and health, especially biotech based products; Agriculture breeding practices; Biofuel and bio-energy; Nanotechnology and Bioinstrumentation; and Biodiversity and Taxonomy.
CCEA approves extension of duration of New Urea Policy 2015
• The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the proposal of the Department of fertilizers to extend the duration of New Urea Policy 2015 from April 1, 2019 till further orders.
• It will facilitate to continue operations and regular supply of urea to the farmers.