Current Affairs in Short: 11 February 2019
The Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Dharmendra Pradhan launched the ‘Dealer Owned Dealer Operated’ (DODO) model for setting up CNG stations. He released the general guidelines for the schemes, under which the entire earmarked dealer plot will be developed exclusively for setting up of CNG station and allied commercial activities at the discretion of CGD activities.
Rupali PruthiFeb 11, 2019 17:45 IST
Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt visit India Pavilion at Berlinale 2019; release IFFI 2019 Brochure
• The team of ‘Gully Boy’ movie including Ranveer Singh, Alia Bhatt, Zoya Akhtar and Ritesh Sidhwani visited the India Pavilion at Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale) 2019.
• They released the IFFI 2019 Brochure and were apprised by the Indian delegation about activities planned for the Golden Jubilee anniversary of IFFI to be held in 2019.
• Indian Delegation interacted with Stephan Ottenbruch, Head of Indo-German Films, wherein they discussed about a larger German presence at IFFI 2019 and explored possibilities of collaboration.
• The delegation from Israel visited the Indian Pavilion and expressed its keenness to produce a film with an Indian producer under the Indo-Israeli Co-production treaty.
• The Indian Pavilion at Berlinale was organised by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting in association with Confederation of Indian Industry.
• Over 75 Indian film companies are participating at Berlinale 2019.
2019 Grammy Awards: Kacey Musgraves, Childish Gambino, Cardi B & Qunicy Jones created history
• Kacey Musgraves, Childish Gambino, Cardi B and Qunicy Jones created history by winning the 2019 Grammy Awards held at Staples Center in Los Angeles.
• Country singer Kacey Musgraves won the ‘Album of the Year’ award for her record "Golden Hour". Kacey also won awards for best country album, best country song and best country solo performance.
• Childish Gambino’s “This Is America” won four awards for song of the year, best rap or sung performance, best music video and record of the year.
• "This Is America" became first rap track to get the award in the history of the Grammys.
• Cardi B became the first woman to win the Best Rap Album Grammy award for her debut 'Invasion of Privacy'.
• Lady Gaga’s “Shallow” from the movie “A Star Is Born” won two awards.
• Another history maker was veteran record producer Quincy Jones who won for his documentary "Quincy" for best music film.
• Former US President Jimmy Carter won his second Grammy Award for spoken word album for his biography "Faith - A Journey For All".
Dealer-Owned-Dealer-Operated model for setting up CNG stations by private players launched
• The Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Dharmendra Pradhan launched the ‘Dealer Owned Dealer Operated’ (DODO) model for setting up CNG stations.
• He released the general guidelines for the schemes, under which the entire earmarked dealer plot will be developed exclusively for setting up of CNG station and allied commercial activities at the discretion of CGD activities.
• Under the scheme, 87 Geographical areas serviced by 23 entities authorised will be covered.
• More than 1500 CNG stations are presently operational in the country, catering to the demands of over 33 lakh CNG vehicles.
• Under the 9th round of CGD bidding, more than 4600 new CNG stations are expected across India in next 8 years.
• The ongoing 10th round of CGD bidding envisages to cover 50 GAs, covering 124 districts spread over 14 states.
• As more and more CNG stations come up, more than 10% CNG stations may be based on DODO model.
Highlights of PM Modi’s visit to Hubli, Karnataka
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Hubli, Karnataka in the final leg of his one day long tour to Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
• He unveiled a plaque to mark the laying of foundation stone of Indian Institute of Technology – Dharwad and Indian Institute of Information Technology – Dharwad.
• City Gas Distribution Project at Dharwad was dedicated to the nation on this occasion.
• To ensure Energy Security, 1.5 MMT Mangalore Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) facility and 2.5 MMT Padur SPR facility of ISPRL were also dedicated to the nation.
• The Doubling of 18 km long Chikjajur-Mayakonda Section was dedicated to the nation. Chikjajur-Mayakonda Section is a part of 190 km long Hubli – Chikjajur Doubling project and is located on Bengaluru – Hubballi route of South Western Railway.
• He witnessed the e-Griha Pravesh of 2350 houses constructed under PMAY(U) at Dharwad.
Highlights of PM Modi’s visit to Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu
• The Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Tiruppur in Tamil Nadu and unveiled several development projects in the State.
• He laid the foundation Stone of Employees’ State Insurance Corporation’s (ESIC) multi speciality Hospital at Tiruppur.
• He dedicated ESIC Hospital Chennai to the nation. This 470-bedded hospital will provide quality treatment on all disciplines of medicine.
• He laid foundation stone for a new integrated building at Trichy Airport for the modernisation of Chennai airport.
• Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL’s) Ennore Coastal Terminal was dedicated to the nation on this occasion.
• He also inaugurated new Crude Oil Pipeline from Chennai Port to Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited’s (CPCL) Manali Refinery.
• Passenger Service for a section of Chennai Metro from AG-DMS Metro station to Washermenpet Metro Station was inaugurated by PM.
Auctioning of PM’s mementoes concludes; tremendous response received to support Namami Gange
• The process of auctioning received a tremendous response from the people of India.
• The process consisted of two parts – a physical auction organized at the National Gallery of Modern Art for two days, and an e-auction through the website pmmementos.gov.in.
• A statuette of Lord Shiva was auctioned for Rs 10 lakh.
• A wooden replica of the Ashok Stambh was auctioned for Rs. 13 lakh.
• A traditional “Horai”, received from Majuli, Assam, (a traditional symbol of the State of Assam - an offering tray with a stand) was auctioned for Rs. 12 lakh.
• A memento entitled “Divinity” received from SGPC, Amritsar was auctioned for Rs. 10.1 lakh.
• A statuette of Gautam Buddha was auctioned for Rs. 7 lakh.
• A traditional brass statue of a lion, received from Shri Sushil Koirala, former Prime Minister of Nepal, was auctioned for Rs. 5.20 lakh.
PM Modi served 3 billionth meal to children in Vrindavan
• The Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Vrindavan in Uttar Pradesh on February 11, 2019.
• He unveiled the plaque to mark the serving of 3rd billionth meal by Akshaya Patra Foundation at Vrindavan Chandrodaya Mandir.
• The Prime Minister served the 3rd billionth meal to underprivileged children from schools.
• Akshaya Patra serves as an implementing partner of Mid-Day Meal Scheme.
• Akshaya Patra foundation has served mid-day meals to 1.76 million children in twelve states covering 14,702 schools.
• In 2016, Akshaya Patra commemorated the serving of 2 billion cumulative meals in the presence of the then President of India, Pranab Mukherjee.
PM visits Assam, lays foundation stone of North East Gas Grid
• PM visited Assam as a part of his visit to Arunachal, Assam and Tripura.
• He laid foundation stone for North East Gas Grid which will ensure uninterrupted availability of natural gas across the region and boost industrial growth in the region.
• He inaugurated Hollong Modular Gas Processing Plant in Tinsukia which will deliver 15% of the total gas produced in Assam.
• PM inaugurated LPG Capacity Augmentation of Mounted Storage Vessel in North Guwahati.
• The foundation stone of NRL Bio Refinery at Numaligarh and a 729 km gas pipeline from Barauni - Guwahati passing through Bihar, West Bengal, Sikkim & Assam was also laid by PM.
• PM laid the foundation stone of a six-lane bridge over river Brahmaputra.
Sapta Shakti Command of Indian Army conducts 'Exercise Rahat' in Jaipur
• In Rajasthan, Jaipur based Sapta Shakti Command of Indian Army conducted a two- day Joint Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Exercise “Exercise Rahat”.
• It involves all stake holders at the national and state level.
• This was the eighth such exercise conducted by the Indian Defence Forces.
• The exercise was conducted in pursuance of the directions of Prime Minister Narendra Modi during Combined Commanders Conference - 2015 to achieve ‘Disaster Resilient India’.