Current Affairs in Short: 11 October 2019
Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs recently launched the ‘mHariyali’ mobile app to promote plantation of trees.
UNICEF became the first UN organisation to make transactions in cryptocurrency
• United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) became the first United Nations’ organisation to transact in cryptocurrency.
• UNICEF will now receive and disburse donations in cryptocurrency through the newly launched UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund.
• UNICEF will be carrying out transactions on Ether and Bitcoin platforms.
• The first donation to the UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund will be received from the Ethereum Foundation.
International Day of Girl Child 2019 observed globally
• The International Day of Girl Child 2019 was observed globally on October 11, 2019.
• This year’s theme was ‘Girl Force: Unscripted and unstoppable’.
• The day was observed to highlight the challenges faced by girls worldwide.
• The day aims to promote the empowerment of girls and realisation of their human rights.
Anita Pai appointed as Chief Operating Officer of Yes Bank
• Anita Pai was recently appointed as the Chief Operating Officer of Yes Bank, the 4th-largest Private Sector Bank in India.
• On the other hand, Jasneet Bachal was appointed as the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) of the Bank.
• Pai will be looking after the information technology functions, while Bachal will head marketing and communication operations.
Union Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ inaugurates 5 JNVs
• Union HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ recently inaugurated 5 Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNVs) through video conferencing in New Delhi.
• On the same occasion, the Minister laid the foundations tone of 9 new JNVs.
• The construction of these new JNVs, where the foundation has been laid, will be completed in the next 2 years at an estimated cost of 417.06 crores.
• The Navodaya Vidyalayas provides quality education in the rural areas of India.
mHariyali mobile app launched to encourage plantation of trees
• Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs recently launched the mobile app ‘mHariyali’ to promote plantation of trees.
• Through this app, people can upload photos of plantation done by them, which will be directly displayed @ epgc.gov.in.
• The nodal officers can monitor the plantation through this app.
• The mobile app offers automatic geotagging of plants.
• The App works on any android mobile phone.