Former Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif's wife Kulsoom Nawaz passes away
• Begum Kulsoom, the wife of Pakistan's jailed former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, died on September 11, 2018 in London after a prolonged illness.
• Kulsoom, who was under treatment at London's Harley Street Clinic since June 2014, was placed on life support as her health deteriorated.
• The former first lady was diagnosed with lymphoma (throat) cancer in August 2017 and had been in London since, where she underwent multiple surgeries and at least five chemotherapy sessions.
• She had married Nawaz Sharif in April 1971. Sharif, his daughter Maryam and son-in-law Captain (retd) Muhammad Safdar are currently serving jail terms in Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi after being convicted by an accountability court in a corruption case in July.
India, Iran, Afghanistan hold first tripartite meeting
• India, Iran and Afghanistan held their first tripartite meeting on September 11, 2018 in Kabul during which implementation of the Chabahar port project and a host of other issues including ways to deepen counter-terror cooperation were discussed.
• The Indian delegation was led by Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale while the Iranian team was headed by Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Afghanistan’s Deputy Foreign Minister Hekmat Khalil Karzai chaired the meeting.
• The joint statement released by the three nations said that the meeting focused on consolidating economic cooperation, including Chabahar, as well as enhancing cooperation on counter-terrorism, counter-narcotics, and continuing support to the peace and reconciliation process that is led and owned by Afghanistan.
• It also stated that the three sides agreed to hold the next round of consultation at an appropriate time in India next year.
AAI shelves water aerodrome project in Chilika Lake
• The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has dropped the proposed water aerodrome project at Chilika Lake in Odisha.
• The AAI has cancelled the seaplane project in the lake, as it, would have negatively impacted the ecosystem and the surrounding human population at the world's second largest brackish water lake.
• The AAI decided to shelve the project following stiff opposition from environmentalists and the Chilika Development Authority (CDA) .
• Earlier, the CDA in its report to the state government had said that the water aerodrome project would seriously jeopardise the habitat of Chilika's nearly one million avian visitors which come from the Arctic and Eurasian regions.
World must rapidly shift dependence on fossil fuels by 2020 to prevent runaway climate change: UN Chief Antonio Guterres
• UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has warned that the world is facing "a direct existential threat" and must rapidly shift from dependence on fossil fuels by 2020 to prevent "runaway climate change."
• In an address at UN headquarters in New York on September 10, 2018, Guterres called the crisis urgent and decried the lack of global leadership to address global warming.
• He said that people everywhere are experiencing record-breaking temperatures and extreme heat waves, wildfires, storms and floods are leaving a trail of death and devastation.
• The world leaders who signed the Paris agreement on climate change in 2015 committed to a series of measures to limit global temperature rises to less than 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) and as close as possible to 1.5 degrees. The reports, however, show that the nations are likely to miss that target.
More than 1 million people ordered to evacuate path of Hurricane Florence
• In the US, more than a million people were ordered to evacuate the path of Hurricane Florence.
• South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster told up to one million residents of the state's eastern coast to leave their homes ahead of the storm's possible arrival on September 13.
• The governor of neighbouring North Carolina ordered an evacuation of the Outer Banks, a popular tourist destination. A state of emergency was declared in Virginia.
• Hurricane Florence, the powerful Category 4 storm packing winds of 220 kilometers per hour has the potential to bring catastrophic flooding to areas of the eastern United States.
Peru celebrates return of stolen gold funeral mask found in Germany
• Peru is celebrating the return of an ancient funeral mask made of gold following a two-decade legal battle to repatriate the smuggled antiquity from Germany.
• President Martin Vizcarra on September 10, 2018 attended a ceremony at the presidential palace where the Sican mask was shown publicly for the first time since its return to the South American nation.
• The 8th century mask depicting a pre-Incan deity was seized in 1999 in Germany from a Turkish art dealer arrested for selling looted objects. It was handed over last week to Peru's embassy in Berlin.
• The mask made of hammered gold alloy with silver eyes is one of the most emblematic of 9,000 art objects Peru has repatriated the last decade. Authorities believe the mask was taken from Peru in the late 1990s.
Transport Minister, UP CM to lay foundation stone of Delhi-Saharanpur Highway
• The Union Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari along with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath laid the foundation stone of Delhi-Saharanpur Highway in Baghpat on September 11, 2018.
• The 154km-long National Highway will be developed in three phases. In the first phase, a 61km-long stretch of the highway from Baghpat to Shamli will be developed, for which over Rs 700 crore has been allotted.
• The highway is expected to open the doors of development for districts like Baghpat, Saharanpur, Shamli, Muzaffarnagar.
• Once the construction of the highway is complete, anyone from Baghpat will be able to reach Delhi in just two hours, which now takes more than three hours due to the bad condition of the road.
Haryana Assembly passes two Bills
• The Haryana Assembly passed two Bills during the ongoing session in Chandigarh on September 10, 2018.
• These included YMCA University of Science and Technology, Faridabad (Amendment) Bills, 2018 and the Haryana Vishwakarma Skill University (Amendment) Bills, 2018.
• The YMCA University of Science and Technology, Faridabad (Amendment) Bills, 2018 has been passed to change the name of the YMCA University to J C Bose University of Science and Technology, YMCA, Faridabad.
• Similarly, the Haryana Vishwakarma Skill University (Amendment) Bills, 2018 has been passed to change the name of the University to Shri Vishwakarma Skill University, Haryana.
• However, the Haryana Pond and Waste Water Management Authority Bill, 2018 was deferred to give more time to members to prepare for discussion in the Bill.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.