Current Affairs in Short: 13 December 2019
The Lok Sabha has approved the Central Sanskrit University Bill 2019. It grants the status of Central University to three honorary Sanskrit Universities.
Sanskrit University Bill, 2019 Passed by Lok Sabha
• The Lok Sabha has approved the Central Sanskrit University Bill 2019. It grants the status of Central University to three honorary Sanskrit Universities in the country.
• The Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, New Delhi, and Sri Lal Bahadur Shastri Vidyapeeth, as well as the Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha at Tirupati, have been accorded the status of Central University.
• The Human Resource Development Minister Nishank Pokhariyal said that this language has contributed to making India a world guru in the past.
Google India to face trial in pre-2009 defamation case
• In September 2009, Vishaka Industries, an asbestos-cement sheet making company, said that Google India allegedly published derogatory articles about its products in 2008.
• The company filed a defamation case on Google India to offend its product through some write-up.
• The court said that it will be exempted only if it had removed the defamatory material following a government or court order.
Victoria Falls dries up due to climate change
• Victoria Falls, one of the world's largest waterfalls in South Africa, is rapidly drying up. It is locally known as Mosi-oa-Tunya.
• The water of this waterfall, which acts as a boundary line between Zambia and Zimbabwe, has dried up to 50 percent.
• Victoria Fall is a 355 feet high natural waterfall that is visited by millions of tourists every year. It is said that the sound of its fall was heard up to 12 kilometers away.
Boris Johnson wins General Election in the United Kingdom
• Prime Minister of the UK, Boris Johnson, has won the General Elections in the United Kingdom. His Conservative Party secured 364 of the 650 seats in the house.
• The opposition Labour Party secured 203 seats while the Liberal Democrats Party got 11 seats. On the other hand, the Scottish National party stunned the political pundits with victory over 48 seats.
• Now, the results will pave a way for Brexit voting in the House of Commons that will take place in January 2020.
Heavy Metals Contamination in Indian Rivers
• As per the report prepared by the Central Water Commission, several Indian rivers are contaminating due to heavy metal.
• The presence of heavy metals was found in two-thirds of water samples collected from several major rivers of India.
• These results are based on the experiments done between May 2014 to April 2018.