Current Affairs in Short: 13 September 2019
India has started exporting bulletproof jackets as per its own standards to over 100 countries including European nations.
India starts exporting bulletproof jackets to over 100 countries
• India has started exporting bulletproof jackets as per its own standards to over 100 countries including European nations.
• India is the fourth country after the US, UK and Germany to have its own national standard on the bulletproof jacket which provides 360-degree protection.
• Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan said he is glad that Bureau of Indian Standards has set standards better than international standards for bulletproof jackets and India has become the fourth country to do so.
Recruitment drive for first batch of women soldiers
• The Indian Army has started recruitment drive for the first batch of women soldiers, who will be inducted in non-combat roles.
• 100 women soldiers will be inducted in the first batch of women soldiers. They will be taken into the Corps of Military Police.
• These candidates from West Bengal, Odisha and Sikkim have recently attended the rally in Shillong.
UN appoints Abhijit Guha as head of Hodeidah mission
• UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres appointed Lieutenant General (Retired) Abhijit Guha as the head of the UN mission in Hodeidah, Yemen.
• Abhijit Guha will succeed Danish Lieutenant General Michael Lollesgaard, who served in these posts from January 31 to July 31, 2019.
• Before this role, he held a number of significant commands, staff and instructional appointments within the Indian Army including leadership of an Infantry Brigade and Infantry Division, and of the Mumbai Area.
Five Indian women police officers honoured by United Nations
• United Nations honoured five Indian women police officers for their commendable services in UN mission in South Sudan.
• These officers are - Gopika Jahagirdar, DSP, Maharashtra Police; Reena Yadav, Inspector, Chandigarh Police; Ragini Kumari, Inspector in the Ministry of Home Affairs; Bharati Samantray, DSP in the Ministry of Home Affairs, and Kamal Shekhawat, ASP, Rajasthan Police were conferred the UN medal.
• These police officers received the UN medal at a medal parade in the United Nations Mission in Juba in South Sudan.