Current Affairs in Short: 17 February 2020
Chief of Defence Staff, General Bipin Rawat said that the Navy is planning to form the Peninsula Command.
CDS Gen Bipin Rawat announces to create Peninsula Command
• Chief of Defence Staff, General Bipin Rawat said on February 17, 2020, that the Navy is planning to form the Peninsula Command on the Eastern and Western Command.
• General Bipin Rawat was talking to the media. He said that India wants to establish two to five theater commands in the country. He clarified that IAF’s Air Defence Command will be released by the beginning of 2021 while peninsula command will be established soon.
• General Bipin Rawat said that a study has been ordered to start the Air Defence Command under the chairmanship of the Vice Chief of Air Force. It will be helpful in situations like aerial attacks.
13th UN Migratory Bird Species Conservation Conference begins in India
• The 13th United Nations Migratory Bird Species Conservation Conference has been started in India. It will be held from February 17, 2020, to February 22, 2020. The abbreviation of this conference is CMS-COP-13.
• India has been chosen as the President of this conference for the next three years. Delegates from 130 countries are taking part in this conference. The Great Indian Bustard has been selected as the mascot for this conference.
• This convention creates a global platform for discussions on immigrant wildlife and their natural habitat. The convention also highlights issues related to the various species of birds and animals.
Maharashtra starts first intercity electric bus service
• The first intercity electric bus service between Mumbai and Pune was started on February 14, 2020. Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated this electric bus service.
• This bus has a seating capacity of 43 people. This bus can cover a distance of 300 km on a single charge.
• The Government of India will also start this type of bus service in other parts of Maharashtra. This bus will be run under the public-private partnership model.
Koneru Humpy wins Cairns Cup chess tournament
• Grandmaster Koneru Humpy recorded another win in the Cairns Chess tournament. Humpy and Grand Master Drona Valli Harika drew in the ninth and final round in St. Louis, USA.
• Humpy scored six points and won the title. World champion Zu Wezun finished second with five and a half points Drona Valli Harika secured fifth place with four and a half points.
• She will get five ELO rating points that will take her to the second position in the world rankings. She became World Rapid Champion in December 2019.
India becomes first country to make Haj process 100% digital: Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
• Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, Union Minister for Minorities Affairs, said on February 17, 2020, that India has become the first country in the world that provides 100 percent digital Haj-2020 process.
• He informed about various services like e-visa, online application, Masiha health facility, etc that are giving completely online services.
• The Minister also said that almost 1,23,000 Indian Muslims will visit the holy place through the Haj Committee of India while other pilgrims will go through Haj group organizers.