PM Modi inaugurates various projects in Junagadh district
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated various projects in Junagadh district.
• These included the Government Civil Hospital, a milk processing plant and some buildings of the Junagadh Agriculture University.
• He dedicated nine new initiatives worth over Rs 500 crore to the state.
• The Prime Minister said that medical colleges and hospitals are coming up across Gujarat. He mentioned the Jan Aushadhi Yojana, under which Jan Aushadhi stores are being opened, which is reducing the prices of medicines.
• The Prime Minister asserted that the coming of Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana- Ayushman Bharat will transform the health sector and ensure that the poor get top class healthcare at affordable prices.
Veteran India pacer Jhulan Goswami retires from T20Is
• Veteran India pacer Jhulan Goswami on Thursday announced her retirement from T20 Internationals with immediate effect.
• She represented India in 68 T20Is, picking up 56 wickets which included a five-wicket haul against Australia in 2012.
• Goswami, a veteran of 10 Tests and 169 ODIs, is currently the leading wicket-taker in the women’s ODI format and also the first woman cricketer to take 200 ODI wickets.
• Goswami's memorable Test performance came against England at Taunton in 2006, where she took five wickets in each innings to finish with match figures of 10 for 78 to help India to a famous series victory.
• In 2010, she received the Arjuna Award and two years later, became only the second woman cricketer to be conferred the Padma Shri, after Diana Edulji.
• She won the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Women’s Cricketer of the Year award in 2007, the first Indian player to win it.
Veteran journalist Kuldip Nayar passes away
• Veteran journalist, author and human rights activist, Kuldip Nayar passed away on August 23, 2018. He was 95.
• Nayar, a former editor of the Indian Express, was also the author of 15 books including “Beyond the Lines”, “India after Nehru” and “Emergency Retold”.
• During Emergency, he was jailed under the Maintenance of Internal Security Act for leading a protest against the excesses of the administration.
• In 2015, he was honoured with ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ for his contribution to journalism at the eighth edition of the Ramnath Goenka Excellence awards.
• Nayar also served as High Commissioner of India to the UK in 1990 and as a Member of the Rajya Sabha.
Reliance Jio tops Fortune's 'Change the World' list 2018
• Mukesh Ambani's telecom unit Reliance Jio was ranked as the top company globally on Fortune's 'Change The World' list 2018 that ranked companies using the profit motive to help the planet tackle social problems.
• Jio is ranked ahead of pharma giant Merck and Bank of America.
• Jio stormed the sector with free calls and data, forcing rivals to merge or exit in September 2016 and amassed 215 million subscribers since then and claims that it is profitable.
• Chinese group Alibaba is ranked 5th on the list with food and drug stores Kroger at 6th, industrial machinery firm ABB at 8th and network and communications giant Hughes Network System at 10th.
Arctic’s strongest sea ice breaks up for first time
• The thickest sea ice in the Arctic has started to break up, opening waters of North Greenland that are normally frozen.
• The ice has broken up twice this year, due to warm winds and heatwaves in the northern hemisphere.
• Scientists said it could prove catastrophic for polar bears and seals, threatening their survival.
• The sea off the north coast of Greenland had long been known as “the last ice area” as it was expected to be the last place to remain frozen, given it had the oldest and thickest ice.
• It could force scientists to revise their theories about which part of the Arctic will withstand global warming the longest.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.