Current Affairs in Short 25 June 2019
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed herbal drug 'lukoskin' for treatment of Leucoderma.
Trump Signed 'Hard-hitting' Sanctions against Iran
• United States imposed sanctions on Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and a string of military chiefs.
• Trump signed the punitive financial measures against in the Oval Office, calling this a "strong and proportionate response to Iran's increasingly provocative actions.
• Trump's move to impose fresh set of sanctions on Iran comes days after Tehran said it shot down an American drone in the region.
Four Indian cities among top 20 megacities in the world facing water scarcity
• A study by World Wildlife Fund (WWF) evaluated 400 cities globally in 2018 with focus on megacities facing high combined levels of water scarcity, recent and projected drought.
• Megacities are quantitatively defined as cities having a population of more than five, eight or ten million people.
• Because of their defining features, concentration of population, goods and services, megacities are particularly vulnerable to water-related risks, which are further amplified by climate change: large-scale flooding, pollution of water sources, water shortages etc.
DRDO’s develops herbal drug for Leucoderma
• Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed herbal drug 'lukoskin' for treatment of Leucoderma.
• In India, its incidence is around 4-5 per cent in some parts of Rajasthan. In Gujarat, it is very high at more than 5-8 per cent.
• Lukoskin, available in ointment and oral liquid form, has seven herbal ingredients having properties such as skin photosensitizer, anti-blister, anti-irritation, antiseptic, wound healing and copper supplementing properties.
RedInk Journalist of the Year-2019 Award
• Rachna Khaira of The Tribune News Service has bagged prestigious RedInk Award for Excellence in Indian Journalism ‘Journalist of the Year’ 2019 for her expose during 2018 on functioning of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and its Aadhaar data cache.
• An investigation conducted by Rachna Khaira confirmed that personal data of millions of citizens was at risk of being hacked/traded for a price.
• The series of sting operations run by journalist helped to raise serious doubts over government claims that Aadhaar data stored on UIDAI servers was safe and secure.
NASA astronauts returned to Earth after 204 days
• The first crew to blast off to the International Space Station following a launch accident that deepened doubts over Russia’s space programme returned to earth safely.
• NASA astronaut Anne McClain, veteran cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko of Roscosmos, and Canadian Space Agency record-holder David Saint-Jacques emerged from the space craft to applause from support crews.
• Arriving at 0247 GMT to warm conditions, Kononenko joked that he was “happy to see any kind of weather” after coming back from space.