Manohar Parrikar presents Goa Annual Budget 2019-20
• Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, who also holds Finance portfolio, presented the state annual budget of Rs 19,548.69 crore for the year 2019-20 as against Rs 17,123.28 crore for the year 2018-19, representing an increase of 14.16 percent over last year.
• The total estimated expenditure on Revenue Account was Rs 13,308.26 crore while the expenditure on Capital Account was Rs 4987.45 crore.
• There was an increase in the allocation for Capital Expenditure by 18.29 percent, as compared to the budget estimate for the last year, which was 4216.25 crore rupees.
• Overall the budget indicated a revenue surplus which was estimated to be Rs 455.10 crore.
NHRC issues notice to UP Government over dilapidated condition of 209 primary school buildings
• NHRC has issued notice to Uttar Pradesh Government over crumbling condition of 209 primary school buildings forcing students to sit in open for their classes in Etawah district.
• NHRC took suo motu cognisance of a media report that students are forced to attend their classes in open as they are scared to sit in the rooms.
• The school managements have made several verbal and written complaints to the concerned authorities in the State Education Department but the repairing work has not been done yet, apparently due to the shortage of funds.
• The Commission has asked the state government to submit a detailed report within four weeks in the matter along with the statistics.
Air India resumes its services from New Delhi to Najaf in Iraq
• Air India announced to resume its services from New Delhi to the holy city of Najaf in Iraq after 25 years.
• Indian Ambassador to Iraq, Dr Pradeep Rajpurohit said the services will commence from February 14, 2019 and it is initially being planned for twice a week.
• Najaf is a city some 160 kilometres from Baghdad.
• It is an important pilgrimage place considered sacred by Shia Muslims.
Agusta Westland co-accused Rajiv Saxena, lobbyist Deepak Talwar extradited to India from UAE
• Dubai-based businessman Rajiv Saxena, the co-accused in 3,600-crore rupee AgustaWestland chopper deal case and corporate lobbyist Deepak Talwar were extradited to India from United Arab Emirates.
• The Enforcement Directorate (ED) had summoned Saxena multiple times in the AgustaWestland scam and had arrested his wife from Chennai airport in July 2017. She is now out on bail.
• The ED alleged that Rajeev Saxena, his wife and their two Dubai-based firms used the proceeds of crime and integrated in buying the immovable properties.
• Talwar is being probed for allegedly concealing income of more than Rs 1000 crores and also for facilitating aviation contracts during the UPA regime.
• Earlier, the UAE government had extradited Christian Michel, a British national and alleged middleman in the AgustaWestland chopper deal scam.
4,78,670 houses sanctioned under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban)
• The Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs approved the construction of another 4,78,670 more affordable houses for the benefit of urban poor under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban).
• The approval was given in the 42nd meeting of the Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee.
• The cumulative number of houses sanctioned under PMAY (U) now is 72,65,763.
• Andhra Pradesh has been sanctioned 1,05,956 houses while the sanction for West Bengal is 1,02,895 houses.
• The number of houses sanctioned for Uttar Pradesh is 91,689, while Tamil Nadu has been sanctioned 68,110.
• Madhya Pradesh has been sanctioned 35,377 houses and the sanction for Kerala is 25,059 houses.
• The number of houses sanctioned for Maharashtra is 17,817 while Odisha has been sanctioned 12,290.
• Bihar has been sanctioned 10,269 houses while the sanction for Uttarkhand is 9,208 houses.
PETROTECH-2019 to be organised from February 10 to 12, 2019
• PETROTECH-2019, the 13th International Oil & Gas Conference & Exhibition, being organised under the aegis of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, is all set to be inaugurated on February 10, 2019.
• India’s flagship hydrocarbon international conference is expected to be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
• Over 95 Energy Ministers from partner countries have been invited by the Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas to participate in the Conference.
• It is expected to see participation of over 86 eminent speakers and 7000 delegates from around 70 countries.