External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will meet US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of Defence James Mattis in New Delhi for the 2 plus 2 Dialogue on September 6, 2018.
US-India 2 plus 2 Dialogue to take place on September 6
• External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will meet US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of Defence James Mattis in New Delhi for the 2 plus 2 Dialogue on September 6, 2018.
• External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will have a separate bilateral meeting with Mike Pompeo while Nirmala Sitharaman will have a one-on-one meeting with James Mattis.
• Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joseph Dunford will also be part of the US delegation.
• Both sides will discuss the long-pending Communications, Compatibility, Security Agreement, and COMCASA.
• It will help India obtain critical and encrypted defence technologies for Indian defence platforms from the US.
• The US sanctions on the import of Iranian crude oil will be the focussed during the talks.
Shipping Ministry holds Consultative Workshop on National Maritime Heritage Complex
• The Ministry of Shipping, through its Sagarmala programme, is closely working with Gujarat and other stakeholders to showcase India's rich maritime heritage through development of a World Class Maritime Heritage Complex (NMHC) at Lothal in Gujarat.
• Preliminary work on design elements of the proposed heritage complex has been completed and consultations from experts are now under process.
• In order to further plan and take the project forward, a one day consultation workshop was held at Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sanghralaya in Mumbai.
• The discussion was centred on the plan options, themes, design vision, best strategies for collection of artefacts and design approaches, etc.
International Women Entrepreneurs Summit begins in Nepal
• The International Women Entrepreneurs Summit 2018 is being held in Kathmandu, Nepal.
• Vice President of Nepal, Nanda Bahadur Pun inaugurated the summit.
• The theme of the 3-day event is “Equality begins with Economic Empowerment”.
• The main objective of the summit is to bring together achievers, women business leaders, professionals, service providers, experts, government representatives and other stakeholders.
• The delegates from the SAARC, ASEAN, EU, Africa, Arab countries, and China are participating in the summit.
• The event is organised by the South Asian Women Development Forum.
Conference on E-Mobility in Indian Railways begins in New Delhi
• The Conference on E-Mobility in Indian Railways began in New Delhi to discuss the strategies regarding future of mobility in the country.
• Minister of State for Railways, Manoj Sinha spoke on clean energy utilisation in Indian Railways. He said that the possibilities of air and solar power are limitless.
• Ashwani Lohani, Chairman of Railway Board, said Indian Railways is moving towards fast speed corridors, creating better terminals, new tracks and complete electrification.
• NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant noted the remarkable progress made by Indian Railways in the areas of Railway electrification, high electric loco production and conversion of Diesel loco to the Electric loco.
PM Modi interacts with awardees of National Teachers’ Awards
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with awardees of National Teachers’ Awards on the eve of Teachers’ Day.
• This year, the Ministry of Human Resource Development has revised the guidelines for the selection of Teachers for National Awards 2017.
• The basic premise now is that the new scheme should be transparent, fair and reward demonstrated excellence and performance and has been inspired by recent innovations in major national awards.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week