The Delhi Government on September 4, 2018 increased the prize money for the players from the state who won medals for the nation at the recently-concluded 18th Asian Games in Jakarta and Palembang, Indonesia.
The announcement was made by the Chief Minister of Delhi, Arvind Kejriwal during the felicitation ceremony organised to honour the 11 sportspersons from the state.
• The state government has raised the prize money for gold medalists to 1 crore from previous Rs 20 lakh.
• The silver medalists will now be entitled to an amount of Rs 75 lakh instead of earlier Rs 14 lakh.
• The bronze medal winners will be getting Rs 50 lakh instead of existing Rs 10 lakh worth prize money.
• The government has also doubled cash incentive for trainers of medal winners to Rs 6 lakh from earlier Rs 3 lakh.
• The government is also planning to arrange employment for the medal winners.
Speaking further on the occasion, Kejriwal assured the athletes that the government would work towards providing the players with proper training facilities and other required services. The CM also announced two new policies to promote sportspersons in the city.
The two policies include:
The policy aims to provide financial assistance and sporting facilities to sportspersons who once win a medal at any national or international sporting event.
The state government has suggested the formation of a committee of experts, which will include eminent sports personalities and concerned departments officers, for the effective implementation of the policy.
The committee will decide what kinds of facilities and financial assistance will be required in each case.
The policy will focus on identifying talent at a young age thereby, ensuring that the budding sportspersons are trained properly to excel at sporting events at both national and international level.
The identified talent will be provided all assistance.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week