Delhi Government to slash bus fares by 75 per cent
The Delhi government has decided to cut down the fares of its public transport buses including DTC and cluster buses to encourage more people to opt for the service and in turn help reduce pollution.
The Delhi government has decided to reduce the fares of Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) and cluster buses by almost 75%, starting 1 January 2017.
This move has been made in order to encourage more people to opt for public transport. Along with this, the government has also decided to make DTC bus travel completely free for students till the age of 21 years.
• The government’s plan includes introducing a flat fare of Rs 5 for non-AC buses and Rs 10 for AC buses on trial basis for a month.
• The new rate will be far cheaper from the current one, which stands between Rs 10-25 for AC buses and Rs 5-15 for non-AC buses.
• The rates of the monthly and daily bus passes have also been proposed to be brought down.
• The daily bus passes, which are currently available for Rs 40 for non-AC service and Rs 50 for AC service will be brought down to Rs 20 for one month.
• The monthly bus passes on the other hand, which are currently issued at a rate of Rs 800 for non-AC buses and Rs 1000 for AC buses, will be brought down to Rs 250 per month.
• At present, the DTC has around 4355 buses (Red and Green) and there are about 1600 cluster buses (orange).
The main aim of the plan is to encourage people to choose public transport over their personal bikes and cars and in turn help bring down vehicular pollution in the city.
Though the decision has already been made, it still awaits an official go-ahead from the Cabinet, after which a formal notification will be issued. For the same, the Delhi Transport Minister Satyendar Jain has directed the transport department to submit a draft note on the decision, which will be introduced at the Cabinet meeting.
The formal notice is expected to be issued by the end of this week.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS