Ethiopia Election 2021: Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed sworn in for second five-year term
Ethiopian General Elections 2021: Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed was sworn in for a second five-year term on October 4. Read all you need to know.
Ethiopia Election 2021: Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed was sworn in for a second five-year term on October 4, 2021. His oath of office was administered by Supreme Court Chief Justice Meaza Ashenafi on October 4, 2021.
Ahmed is a 2019 Nobel Prize winner for his efforts at restoring ties with neighboring Eritrea. The National Election Board of Ethiopia on July 10, 2021, had announced that Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s ruling Prosperity Party has won the Ethiopian General Elections 2021 with a landslide victory of 410 seats out of 436 seats in the federal parliament.
The victory in Ethiopia’s parliamentary election had assured a second term in office for Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed. The new government is expected to form in October 2021.
The June 21 vote was a test for Abiy who had come to power in April 2018 after the former Prime Minister had resigned amid widespread protests. The vote was postponed two twice due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Birhanu Nega, leader of the main opposition Ethiopian Citizens for Social Justice party lost while opposition parties won only 11 seats.
Abiy deemed the election as Ethiopia's first free and fair election after decades, however, a fifth of Ethiopia could not take part in the election due to an opposition boycott, ethnic violence, war in Tigray’s northern region, and logistical challenges. Voting was not held in 3 of Ethiopia’s 10 regions.
Who is Abiy Ahmed?
• Abiy Ahmed is an Ethiopian politician who had been serving as the 4th Prime Minister of Ethiopia since 2018. Abiy got re-elected to a second term as Prime Minister of Ethiopia with a landslide victory of his ruling Prosperity party of 410 seats out of 436 seats in the federal parliament.
• Abiy was the first Oromo from the Oromo Democratic Party to serve as the third Chairman of the ruling Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front.
• He is an elected member of the Ethiopian parliament and a member of the Oromo Democratic Party and Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front’s executive committees.
• Abiy is the first Ethiopian and first Oromo who won the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts at ending the 20-year post-war territorial stalemate between Ethiopia and Eritrea.
• Within months of assuming office as PM of Ethiopia, Abiy had lifted a ban on opposition parties, opened one of Africa’s last untapped markets, and released tens of thousands of political prisoners.
Ethiopian General Elections 2021
• The Ethiopian General Elections 2021 was held on June 21, 2021. The elections initially to be held on August 29, 2020, were postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
• The Ethiopian General Elections 2021 was the first multi-party election since 2005.
Ethiopia Political Background
• The Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front along with three member parties of the political coalition dominated Ethiopian politics since the overthrow of the Derg in 1991.
• The Democratic Front and the three-member parties of the political coalition namely Southern Ethiopian People’s Democratic Movement (SEPDM), Oromo Democratic Party (ODP), and Amhara Democratic Party (ADP) was dissolved on December 1, 2019.
• From there emerged the ruling Prosperity Party on December 1, 2019, and Abiy Ahmed, the former leader of the Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front became the first leader of the ruling Prosperity Party.